FX Zone?

Hi there.

Just getting to grips with H6.

I have a number of samples loaded and mapped to various note ranges. Now I want to add audio effects to the sample playback (such as modulation or a filter) within a certain velocity range. Can I do this by using a single zone which intersects with the existing ones, or do I have to set this up for every single sample?

If the former, any pointers for how to go about it as the manual and google have been failing me for a couple of hours now.

If the latter, what would the workflow be to avoid the process being slow and painful? If at all possible.

Sorry if the questions don’t actually make sense in the context of Halion. I might very well be at a loss as to how any of this is supposed to work.

Cheeers.

kind regards,
R.

No, you do not have to do it to every individual sample.

Make use of “layers”, and you can put a filter there.

If you have nested layers, then effects can even be stacked. You can set it up so lower layers inherit properties (stuff you set in the “Sound” and “Zone” editors) from the parent layer, or maintain independent settings, etc.

Here, in an example Violin Program, you can see how I’ve got several Layers like Arco, Pizzicato, and Tremolo. Deeper under “Pizzicato”, you can see I’ve got samples under a Layer called Pizz1. In essence there are for different dynamic levels. f, mf, and p associated with my Pizz1 layer. I could apply filters, LFOs, MIDI Modules, MegaTrigs, etc., at any of the ‘layer’ heads (Pizzicato, Pizz1, Pizz2, etc.), and they would apply to all children layers and samples.

In this example, you can see I’ve got a list of samples living under the Pizz1 layer head. I can click on the Pizz1 layer, then apply settings in the Sound and Zone Editors that would apply to all of the children samples en’mass. Subsequently, I could also have even more for his parent at the “Pizzicato” layer, and then have even more at the top Parent level of “Dorico’s Violin 1”.

Be aware of the toolbar at the top of the Sound and Zone tabs, because there ABS and SEL icons you can toggle to determine if layers should inherit values from their parents, or get their own independent values. Also note that the color of settings (see how some of these are in red) lets you know if it applies to just one layer/zone, or if others inherit settings.

If you want effects (like reverbs, chorus, etc.), again you don’t need to do this for every single individual layer. Just create a new buses for layers that require unique effect chains.
Example:

Notice how I’ve got a fresh Bus for each key-switched Layer (Arco, Pizzicato, and Tremolo). In the Acro Layer, I’ve got EQ and Reverb going on via the “Arco-Bus”. My other busses currently have no special ‘effect chains’ on the busses, but I did go ahead and put empty busses in there so it’ll be easy to add them if/when I want. Furthermore, if I want some master effects that could effect any/all of the layers, then I’d add them to the last Bus at the top/parent most level (In this case “Program-Bus”).

For me, one of the best ways to learn HALion, is to simply load up Programs that came with Halion, and look very closely at how they were built while going to the Owner Manual to search for and look things up as needed. Different kinds of sounds require different kinds of approaches, and there are all sorts of great examples included in HALion to make case studies of…or even use as templates to ‘morph’ into your own brand new sounds.