Gain control in 9.5

HI,
The gain control has changed radically in 9.5, and I am having major issues. So far, I really don’t like it, but I am sure it’s just a matter of getting used to it.

I’m having a real problem however.

I split the clip to focus in on the section I want to reduce in volume. I select the clip and click gain > process.

The result is that it converts the clip to mono!!! I didn’t ask it to do that???!!!

I even noticed that it converted the clips around it to mono too!!!

This is really difficult, it used to be so straight forward in all previous versions; select the clip, apply a gain increase or reduction, simple, move on, but this change just seems to have unnecessarily destroyed it.

Is it s new preference needs to be adjusted?

Does anyone else find the new gain window horrible in application?

Any advice welcome. …

Hi,

Sorry, could you be more specific, please?

You had a stereo Audio event in the project, right? You split it (by using Split/scissors tool), right? Then you applied Direct Offline Process - Gain, right? Now, the stereo Audio becomes mono? Are you sure you have no other process/plug-in in the chain?

Hi Martin,

Applying gain (increasing or decreasing volume of a clip) is a function that I use very, very frequently. It has never been anything other than straightforward up to 9.5. I would simply select the range or clip I wanted to increase or decrease, and click Audio > Process > Gain and increase or decrease db level of the clip and it processed. Simple as that.

In 9.5 it’s Audio > Processes (changed to plural for some reason) > Gain.

This brings up a window called “Direct Offline Processing”. It’s a new style window in 9.5

The first thing it does that annoys is that it automatically starts increasing or reducing the gain using the last amount used. So if you reduced by -4db last time, it will automatically process it at -4 this time too. But this clip you might want to +6db!!! So you have to undo it and apply again at new amount.

But certainly the most exasperating feature is that it turns all clips where I process gain into mono clips. And I have seen it do it to all the clips around the clip. It gives a warning at the start about it affecting other related clips. So I click new version of the clip.

This is really awful. I ended up having to delete clip from a track last night as I could not reduce by using gain.

To answer your specific questions:

“You had a stereo Audio event in the project, right? You split it (by using Split/scissors tool), right? Then you applied Direct Offline Process - Gain, right? Now, the stereo Audio becomes mono? Are you sure you have no other process/plug-in in the chain?”

Yes, it is a stereo event. Yes, slit using scissors. Audio > Processes > Gain

Clip turns into mono.

I cannot reproduce it here. are you sure you have no other process in the chain?

Could you have a look to the source file, if it’s still stereo or mono?

Is it a file from MediaBay, or is it recorded by you?

HI - I am not sure what you mean about more than one process in the chain, but all I am doing it selecting a clip and trying to apply a gain reduction to it, and it converts the clip to mono.

It is a media file imported, would be imported from an export of a track recorded by me in Cubase.

I will try recording a track and applying gain modification directly to that track rather than to an imported .wav file and see if Cubase does it any differently…