Galley view should show active playing technique

In one of the Dorico livestreams I mentioned this suggestion and got a helpful response but I will mention this request again here since I have run into a need for this several more times.

Galley View displays the name of the instrument in gray text on the left edge of the screen. It would be very helpful if Galley View also displayed any active playing techniques along with the instrument label indication, i.e. “Viola (pizz.)”

I specifically run into the need for this feature during time-constrained score review with Dorico open for review, for example the conductor or a performer asks “is this supposed to be arco here?” and have about 5 seconds to clarify before excess time is wasted. Currently this means scrolling backwards in the score (off-screen) to see which techniques are still active or have been cancelled. (Almost no time savings compared to leafing through many pages of a hard copy.)

Also in writing rapidly, with lots of scrolling around many staves, it is not always easy to know which techniques are active by glance, if they were initiated “off page to the left”.

The answer given in the livestream was, “Just select a note and you’ll hear what technique is active, in the playback.” That is debatable on simple scores but not easily done with complex scores or during rehearsals where audio playback/verification is not easy. (The ears during those times are for listening to humans, not for listening to a laptop).

Additionally, the status bar could show the active techniques for the selected note(s). i.e. “Note: D4 (Up-stem Voice 1, pizz.)”

8 Likes

If you open the key editor below your galley view, you can show active playing techniques there.

1 Like

I’m just bumping this idea x1000. The amount of time and hassle it would save me is tremendous! And it would be unique to Dorico, right?

These days this is easily viewable without leaving edit mode in the key editor tab.

And if you have long rests in between two passages with the same technique (so that the PT name is not visible) just go with the mouse on the PT stripe and a nice overlay little windows appears with many useful informations :slight_smile:
(this is only an example…so yes you see the PT in the music here, but imagine having 40 bars rest.)

1 Like

Not really.

Note the use case with an orchestral score open; not just a single instrument in view: "during time-constrained score review with Dorico open for review, for example the conductor or a performer asks “is this supposed to be arco here?” and have about 5 seconds to clarify before excess time is wasted. " There is not available screen real estate to have the key editor open in this context of reviewing an entire score.

I wouldn’t expect a conductor or player to have access to a Dorico file. Your process is clearly different than anything I am familiar with.

Your reading comprehension is different as well. Try again.

Being dismissive is not an appropriate reply.

2 Likes

Realtime recording:

1 Like

( Parsifal! )

I also don’t quite understand the scenario, despite the repeated descriptions. If I’ve composed or arranged something and have been invited to the session, I had better already know the answer to all questions such as “Is this supposed to be arco here?”

6 Likes

Additionally if the upper-left side of Galley view could show the most recent offscreen Rehearsal Mark in gray, it would be helpful for location.

I feel like having it displayed in the gray area of the score next to every staff would be a bit cluttered. Alternatively, what about seeing the current playing technique of any selected note down at the mini inspector bar which shows the midi note or information of the selected element? Might be an easy and elegant solve.

As for Rehearsal marks, not next to every staff. Only above, as it is currently, and to the very left, above the clefs, and grayed like the clefs.

Go To Rehearsal Mark exists, for this reason.

I don’t want to ‘go to’ it, I want to see it while editing.