Game Audio Connect: audio file names

Hello folks,

Im exporting audio to Wwise via drag and drop to game audio connect and the filename is always “untitled.wav” or some variation of it.

Is that an issue in the game audio pipeline?

How do I make GAC name the files?

I setup the file naming scheme in the Export Audio Mixdown dialogue, but nothing happened. Even tried with cycle markers, but the name of the object in Wwise is always “untitled”. Is this how its supposed to be?

I’m experiencing the exact same issue, using Wwise 2017.2.1, and Nuendo 8.
The only way I can get around it is to use the File–>Export–>Audio Mixdown.
At that moment, Wwise prompts me with the proper name and location.
Drag and Drop, like in your case, gives me an Untitled file located under …\AppData\Local\Temp\Untitled

JS

Did you ever resolve this issue? I’m having the same problem with Nuendo 11 and Wwise 2019.2.8

Sorry, but no. I had to accept the error as “normal behavior” and move on.

I didn’t have to use GAC everyday back then, so it wasn’t a big issue for me.

What about you? Did you find any solutions?

I did contact them and the solution was that it follows the settings from render in place.
If I remember correctly, I had to uncheck or check the box about using custom name in the render in place settings window.

Yannick M.

image001.jpg

There’s a video that demonstrates how this works called " Nuendo 7 for Game Audio - Working seamlessly with Wwise" on the Steinberg YouTube channel (can’t post links in the forum so I can’t link to it). The part you are looking for is at 2’10"

Since it’s an old video the button for the naming options is different now - it is now a little gear next to the file name input box.

EDIT:

After 2 hours of trying I found the solution:

1. Go to File > Export > Selected Events ( and NOT: Edit > Render in Place > Settings), check “use custom name” and choose your name scheme
  2. If the object in Wwise is already linked to a sound file, it will rename the exported file to that already linked file name to make it easier to replace already imported files and keep the folder clean. This means that Nuendo as well as Wwise are in control of the name!

@Steinberg, please mention those two points in the manual, since it is really not self-explanatory.

1 Like

Great work on finding the solution! I reported this as a bug ages ago and it was acknowledged, but that was the last I heard of it…