Game: What's in your plugin box/What becomes obsolete?

Ok I’ll start it off…

Effects:

Tapestop - May become obsolete to the new elastic audio. From that video in the other thread it looks like Tapestop may be on it’s way out.

T-Racks 3 Deluxe - The included Cubase fx are great. I heavily use the EQs. The pretty big GUIs in T-Racks, the Metering plugin, the Opto and Vint Comp get the most use. I use the Lin Phase on the master bus. Everything else hasn’t really been used. I also found use for the Cubase Vintage Comp.

Camelphat - Throw it on drums every now and then. Might just use the included plugins and T-Racks more.

Fish Fillet - free bundle, but rarely used. It hadn’t even made a Cubase 5 project. It’s probably on the way OTD.

URS Strip Pro - I’m over it. I like processing with seperate plugins. The strip is nice, but the options are overwhelming. The Cubase EQ is more functional for me. The T-Racks comps and Cubase comps serve me better workflow-wise. I don’t hear a sound difference in the comps. I had this one mapped nicely to my Novation SL Compact too. Too bad.

Sonnox - Inflator, Limiter, TranMod… It’s Sonnox… Nothing like it! It’s here to stay PERIOD!

Sonalksis TBK 1-3 - Kool different plugins. Not used much, but when they are the simplicity is beautiful. They made it thru this cut.

AutoTune - Haven’t tried the Cubase alternative yet, but since I do rap/hip-hop it’s staying this round. Will try the Cubase alternatives heavily when I can.

Recent draft pick: SoundToys Native Bundle. Fuggin’ EchoBoy is the TRUTH!!!

Instruments:

NI Komplete - won’t be replaced, but don’t expect it to be.

Atmosphere/Trilogy - Here to stay, hopefully soon upgraded, but they are still great.

Sylenth1 - Nice easy and pretty interface. Will try to use the included Steiny synths alot more tho.

FL Studio/Reason - Don’t use either, but both are staying because others in my crew use them.

Future draft picks: HalionSonic, Omnisphere, Trillian, NI Maschine.

Ok who’s next???

Aloha J

I love this thread topic and plan to participate
but should it not be in the Music lounge forum and not the C6 forum?
{‘-’}

I just use UAD, SSL TC dsp based plugins, never have I even bothered with any additional bundled rubbish, although to be fair, that is for beginners of which I am not and nor do I use any 3rd party plugs that are non DSP unless they are purely sample playback.

I’d be lucky to even have a go at a non-DSP drum machine but am skeptical as well as the performance is normally garbage.

Garbage in garbage out but cubase works ok.

Maybe so. I was comparing the Cubase 6 offering to what I currently have. That’s why I posted it here. Hmm I guess a mod should move it if need be.

I just use UAD, SSL TC dsp based plugins, never have I even bothered with any additional bundled rubbish, although to be fair, that is for beginners of which I am not and nor do I use any 3rd party plugs that are non DSP unless they are purely sample playback.

Hey if it works it works. If you haven’t tried it, you really can’t judge it. The computer power is there for nonDSP plugins.

I’d be lucky to even have a go at a non-DSP drum machine but am skeptical as well as the performance is normally garbage.

Is you computer older? Maybe your processor can’t handle the load… Purely speculating, but there’s been great drum machine plugins for a while. I use Battery 3 myself. I’ll be switching to Maschine. Haven’t tried Groove Agent One, but it should work fine.

Is you computer older? Maybe your processor can’t handle the load…

Regardless native just sound bad compared to DSP.

One day I hope steinberg can make a genuine product besides native and no matter what they or anyone do native will always be rubbish.

The only benefit VST gives is the Steinberg SKI which ties audio functions more closely to ASIO but even then which VSTs implement it is another question let alone DSP based instruments and effects.

Sorry for the noob question, but what exactly is the difference? I’ve just read the wikipedia article on DSP, but I’m still not entirely sure what makes it different than normal plugins.

DSP algorithms run pure functions unlike SIMD based instructions.

Do you do much coding?

Added to my foe list, thanks.

Foe list - excellent, I thought I was being polite. Oh well, what I meant to say (and feel that I can now that I am tagged as your arch-enemy) is that I wish people like you would stop spreading bollox around t’internet when you don’t have a clue about what you are talking about.

For anyone else…

Digital Signal Processing can be done either natively or in some processing offloading solution, like a UAD card or Powercore box. DSP isn’t a thing in itself that is exclusively done in these external solutions, it is mathematics (and isn’t limited to just audio signals).

Therefore when cramar says…

“DSP algorithms run pure functions unlike SIMD based instructions.”

… it’s best just to ignore him.

I read your reply while I was a guest and my question to you is what plug in’s do you develop?

Obviously if you do develop any plugin then you have a vested interest so while I’d not say to anyone to ignore you, it does go without saying that pure virtual function calls are only possible with native plugins.

Cheers

add me to your foe list too please…

+1

He’s a known troll.

Everyone knows in this day and age external DSP is for suckers.

or for pluggins you can’t get natively

yeah, of course: It is well known that the one second of sound that results of 44.100 calculations of x + y * z simply sounds better when it is coded directly in assembler and running on an ARM8 RISC CPU, than it does sound when it is coded in C++ implementing abstract pure virtual function calls of a VSTAudioA OO-class, compiled and running on a Intel i7 920XM CPU!

If you listen closely, you can even hear the difference between a Microsoft C++ Compiler and an Intel C++ Compiler. The Intel C++ Compiler is specifically written to support the i7 920Xm, as this CPU is manufactured by the same company that developed the compiler, whereas the MS C++ Compiler is too generally written to support any form of SIMD instruction sets.

The difference is subtle, but if you listen closely… :bulb:

Hi I’ve just recently been informed by TC Powercore that they are dicontinuing their ‘Powercore Product range’!
They have however offered me a special crossgrade offer to move to the UAD platform by giving me some free UAD plugins if I am a new UAD user ( buy a UAD 2 card ) and register between Feb 1st 2011 and June 30th 2011.

I wonder why they are no longer developing the powercore range ?

(Also, in relation to the oringinal thread title, I like the Uhbik plugins and an interesting harmony generator called improvisator )

That’s a great deal to be crossgraded.

Also thanks for getting back on topic. Have you found any of the included Cubase effects favorable or had a chance to try them? What do you think about them if so?

Envelope shaper is probably one of the most under appreciated cubase plugins. It’s surprisingly useful in a variety of different contexts !