Garritan JABB (Aria Player) and VST Expression

Hi All,

I have recently installed the Garritan Jazz and Big Band (JABB) library as a VSTi which uses the Aria player. I would like to use VST dynamics/expression to control the patches, but I just can’t get it to work at all.

I followed the instructions in the Cubase manual (ver 6.5.4) and created both MIDI and Instrument tracks from the JABB VSTi. I was careful to use the KS voices, which have key switches. Now I should get the option ‘Import Key Switches’ from the Expression Map pop-up menu, but no such option exists. So, struggling on, I opened the Expression Map Setup window. I tried to import an expression map from the folder that comes with Garritan JABB, but nothing happened. They’re definitely the correct format (.expressionmap files) but I can’t seem to use them.

I tried assigning an expression map from Halion Symphonic (‘trumpet’, since you ask) but that had no effect. In the end I just used controller data to vary volumes, etc., but it’s very frustrating not being able to control expression using the mapping feature, especially as I usually input this from the Score Editor using ff, pp, mp etc and note symbols such as accents, falls, etc.

I notice that the JABB VSTi was vreated using version 2.4 of the VST SDK. Is this sufficient? Maybe I read somewhere that expression maps only work on SDKs of 3.5 or higher???

Anyway, can anyone shed any light on this?

miles_muso

BUMP. Sorry to bump my own post, but I’d really like an answer… :confused:

Miles,

This is strange - I thought ‘Import Key Switches’ worked for the Garritan instruments, but I can’t get it to work either on C6.5 or C7. I’ve got the latest Aria player (1.620) and have tried with JABB and GPO4. The only thing I can suggest at the moment is to download the expression maps from the Garritan site - there’s a link here:-

I’ll keep investigating though as I thought I’d used this in the past, but maybe that was with the old pre-Aria libraries.

Chris

P.S. I’ve just tried Import Key Switches in HALion Sonic and it works fine. Also tried Kontakt 5 and it doesn’t, so this looks like it only works for the Steinberg VSTis and I’m misremembering using it with Garritan.