Garritan JABB with Cubase 10.5

How can I use Garritan within Cubase 10.5?

Yes, last I tried it worked fine

1 Like

It can be set up and used many different ways. Consider these questions:

1. Do you intend to also use Cubase to make printed scores? If so, how important is it for you to have working expression maps intended to go with the Score and Key editors?

2. Will you be importing rendered MIDI files from something like Finale, Sibelius, or Dorico to begin the project? If so, this can have an impact on the strategy you might take in setting up your initial ARIA instances inside Cubase.

3. How do you like to compose? Score editor? Key Editor? Real time Playing from a controller?

One of the biggest choices is when it’s better to use key-switching variants of sounds vs when it’s better to just spread things out over many tracks/channels. There are advantages and disadvantages to both methods.

Next big question is if you should use standard or notation versions of the Garritan instruments. In the Jazz and Big Band 3 Library, about the only difference I know of here is what octave of the keyboard key-switches are in.

Then, there is the question of using built in ARIA effects (sound staging/panning and reverbs), or bypassing those and using the ones that can be hosted in Cubase (several nice ones come with the DAW, plus your third party adds). If you use those in ARIA, understand that the effects are always mixed and are sent to ARIA’s 1&2 channels. If you want to bypass them and use Cubase effects instead, one can usually get a good start by using a Cubase FX Track (Reverb you want loaded on that) and Sends on the ARIA outputs to share a main reverb across all the instances of ARIA Outputs you’ve configured. For FX enhancements to individual instruments, you’ll want to use that Multi-Output version of ARIA and assign each instrument slot to his own audio BUS.

You’ll have all sorts of options in what sort of Cubase tracks to use, and how you’d like to route the audio outputs. For typical Big Band charts, it’s probably best to start out with Multi-output ARIA instances in Rack Mode, and use MIDI tracks to build your composition. MIDI tracks offer some flexibility in mixing and routing that Instrument Tracks do not.

Instrument Tracks aren’t quite as flexible when it comes to routing and mixing, but they do provide a different sort of advantage in that they can be exported as MIDIloops. Instrument tracks include the ARIA instance end point with all its settings, and only place a single fader on the mixing console. These can be good to library licks and grooves for reuse in other projects, as the exported MIDIloops can be auditioned in the Cubase Media Browser without having to load them up manually. One thing to look out for when using Instrument tracks, is that you might end up with a lot of unnecessary instances of ARIA in the project as you’re learning you way around (not too hard to get under control once you’re more experienced…but it can make a big MESS until then).

So really…one could ramble all day with options and advice. Tell us more about your dream work flow. Stuff like…how important using the Score Editor is vs getting the best sound that easy and flexible in terms of MIXING a project.

Composing stages favor a setup that’s soso in sound quality, but easy to access a lot of sounds/articulations right from the score editor. When it comes to things like grace notes, glisses, falls, etc…getting them to show properly on a score might have a pretty bad sound (if implementable at all in the score translating ‘expression maps’).

A hard core mix-down setup won’t really be conductive to the score editor, as you’ll have tracks spread out all over the place. Notes won’t be quantized and such for the sake of making a score. Little grace notes and things will be applied that frankly would screw a score to hades and back.

Eventually you might want BOTH, and you can indeed do both in the same project. The question is, which is more important for you start mastering first? Do you want to compose from the Score Editor? Or do you want to do more recording in real time while focusing on what the project SOUNDS LIKE first?

Brian, This is my 2nd attempt at replying to your answer to my question about Jaab and Cubase. I hope you receive this.
I write my scores by hand, use Finale fore final score. THEN I wish to record my score for my clients to have a performance to rehearse with.
I write accompaniments for acts, vocalists, dancers, Ice shows, acrobats, dance groups, some ballet, etc.
I then would play the chart in (in my Sonar days.)
Now I would like to know if I can make a Jaab Template in Cubase just like the ones that I have made for my orchestras. Or, must I use the Aria setup that comes with Jaab.
In either case since I am new to Cubase I’m not sure how to setup either one.
I’m wanting to use Jaab since I am familiar with the sounds. My input is with a wind controller (WX5, or Roland AE 10.) Of course keyboard us used with the rhythm section.
I have written my charts this way for 60+ years. (Perhaps when I grow up I’ll become more efficient.)
Would I have a separate Aria instance for each instrument?
I would like to add strings sometimes when the client wishes, If I could use a Cubase Template that would be easy.
If this not feasible I am not adverse to using Jazz horns sounds from another Vst collection. I am a PC person, so Mac sounds would be out.
Brian, any help or ideas would be VERY much appreciated.
If you get this letter, I figured how to reply.

Jack Marek (The Quiet Bear)

A couple of options to get started.
Rewire:
One option is to make Finale a Rewire Slave to Cubase and import a tempo track from Finale into Cubase. The transports of the two Apps will then sync. This works if you just wish to record some things live in Cubase, while letting Finale play the score. Of course you can also record the Finale mains on audio tracks in Cubase too.
Importing:
Another option is to import things from Finale into Cubase as you left them in Finale so that your Cubase template starts out sounding identical, and using the same instrument(s) as you last left them in Finale. This is good if you want to get into the performance data and really fine tune things, use alternative sounds/plugins…clone tracks and double parts, tinker with the groove and humanistic timing, etc.

In Finale open your ARIA instance(s) and save a preset.
Export the score as a MIDI file.

In Cubase, open the same number of instances in Rack Mode (Tap F11, and add ‘rack’), and be sure to use the Multi Output ARIA plugins. In your Cubase ARIA instances load up the presets you saved back in Finale.

Import the MIDI file into Cubase that you made from Finale, and Connect the imported MIDI tracks to the respective ARIA instances.

At this point you should have a setup in Cubase that sounds identical to what Finale was playing. From there you can branch out and clone the originals to make new tracks and create more instances of ARIA as you like to get a better sounding mock-up.

Give that a try, and I’ll come back when I have more time, break your post here into quotes and get more specific. I’ll see if I can’t find some example projects to share as well.