Garritan whitelisted but..,

Has anyone else had the problem of having Garritan whitelisted but it doesn’t show up as a Play option.
I use garritan sounds when I’m away from my desk because my other sounds are on a separate harddrive, and I’ve needed it a lot lately, but don’t have my sounds.

What version of ARIA Player are you using; what OS version, what Dorico version?

If you’re on Windows, ARIA is still VST2; but a VST3 version is available for Mac.

A VST3 version of Garritan Aria is also available for Windows, but unlike the multi-output VST2 version, it only outputs its 16 slots to a single MIDI output channel.

1 Like

Ah yes. So much to keep up with!

So where do I find the vst3 version? All I see is the download for the same vst2 windows version I’ve got.

I begin to think either Garritan (Makemusic) is only sending the Aria player with new sound set purchases or it has withdrawn the Windows VST3 Player for whatever reason. Makemusic support seems to grow eevr more cryptic, and Garritan seems to have been all but abandoned years ago.

I use a Mac, not Windows, but I use the free sforzando for my Garritan sounds and it says it also supports Windows. I end up with one copy of sforzando for each player as it is single-channel, not multi-channel like Aria, but they use the same sound files.
https://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando.html

The windows version is not really worth the bother though. Sforzando would be better. ARIA VST3 for windows only supports one channel. It doesn’t always render properly when doing ‘instant/offline’ renderings. No multiple audio outputs.

Stick with the VST2 version for now when you need a multiple channel option. For the time being Dorico plays very well with VST2 on Windows machines (even better than VST3 for a few things).

In cases that you don’t need multiple channels you can opt for the sforzando plugin. Sforzando comes in VST3 and plays Garritan libraries quite well, including the reverbs if you want those. The only catch with using sforzando instead of ARIA is that it only supports a single instrument/channel per instance.

On the dreaded day that Steinberg pulls VST2 support from all their hosts, if MM hasn’t fixed their VST3 plugin for Windows by then, you can bridge ARIA VST2.4 in with something like the free Kushview Element plugin (free), or bidule (not free).

It’s a shame too. It’s an old one, but very affordable, light on resources, and can sound pretty darn good with a little attention to the ‘mix’.

There are a lot of nice things about COMB2, JABB3, and the Harps in particular that few if any modern libraries can touch. All those glorious individual brass and saxes in JABB3…more mute types/styles than one can shake a stick at. Marching brass and percussion in COMB2. No one else offers that stuff!

The World Instruments library gets regular visits from me as well.

I’ve tried over the years to find a way to replace the stuff with ‘modern’ libraries, but nothing can quite match it. We’re talking mixing and matching DOZENS of other libraries to get anywhere close, and some of those are upwards of $900 each just to get your feet wet in their ‘ecosystems’. Then they require you to invest in a 3tb drive, 64gb of memory, etc…all so you can get 5+ mic positions that you’ll probably never use unless you’re trying to do a 12 channel surround sound atmos mix or something along those lines. Overkill when you just want some bucket muted trombones, a wah-wah trumpet, a line of sousaphones, mellophones, etc.

The latest download for Windows is v. 1.959, here:

That should give you three VSTs - two VST2 and one VST3. As said, the VST3 one is single-channel audio output.

There is a later ARIA Engine update: 1.967 here:

Annoyingly, the Mac version is 2.039 (as of Finale 27.4), which means that any Dorico playback templates created on a Mac won’t work on Windows, as you get an error saying it’s a later version.

GPO5 lacks a coherent and comprehensive set of techniques, particularly in the strings, and also overwhelms the user with countless different instrument choices. The solo strings often sound ‘hollow’. Some of the effects: e.g. trills, tremolo, vibrato, are synthesised. (The Note on/off trills aren’t very useful for notation.)

The Organs, Harps, other keyboards and percussion are still very useful, (as these are mostly ‘single-sound’ instruments)

You’re right about the sheer range of instruments in JABB and COMB and all the mutes; but the brass and wind sound quite thin and anaemic.

I’ve often thought about developing an entirely new set of SFZ files for the samples, to produce a new, better ‘suite’ of instruments. I have made a start; though now we have NotePerformer, the necessity to do so is reduced considerably. (And soon we’ll have Iconica Sketch to try out!)

MM/Garritan themselves could no doubt create a new library from their own archive of recordings; but it may be that all the talent left when they moved to Bolder.

There is currently a sale, using the voucher code FINALE35, but it is limited to some countries. It will work in the US and UK.

I’ve also been working on an “Advanced ARIA User’s Handbook”. Probably nothing you won’t know, Brian, :wink:. But unless MM shows any interest in anything beyond merely keeping the existing products alive…

Not sure I agree here. The samples are ‘dry’ but for the most part they are right on. Record those horns in a truly dead room and that’s what they sound like. I can work with that. I actually like it that way because it can be worked into a larger variety of mixes and styles.

GPO strings get a bit robotic with all the built in vibrato (fine for some arrangements and keys, but annoying and hopeless in others), but the rest of it lays nicely into a mix.

Short on articulations for strings, true, but in my opinion they all are…or give a bunch of stuff that’s not of much use unless you have the perfect tempo (pretty much compose for what you know the library can do). End up having to ‘build’ them for each piece anyway.

Most notation programs miss this fact. Garritan instruments were built to ‘stack’ many layers for pretty lush ‘arrangements’. Riding the controls is pretty necessary when it comes mock-up time. Such things come second nature to tracking DAW artists.

Sure, an exposed solo instrument can be a bit thin if you don’t put it in the right place in the mix, but if you’re rocking a 6/5/5/R big band arrangement it’s still pretty hard to find something as easy to work with and get a pretty good mix. Good luck finding 5 trumpets with harmons and 6 bones with buckets!

I under appreciate COMB2 till I go trying to find replacements. Modern stuff was built by and for people doing 3 finger arrangements to throw into a video game, or hide in the background of a movie sound track. They can sound pretty bad when doing the sorts of arrangements you’d want to give to a real band. Three and four parts per section, lots of doubled parts in octaves, etc. COMB2 is decently balanced when stacking all those parts, doubling things you’d normally double for a real band, etc.

Trying to find substitutions for COMB2…Modern libraries tend to be geared for ‘symphony’ where there are 2 to 5 of each wind/brass instrument…where in band ya got 22 flutes, 37 clarinets, 18 saxes, etc! They are often just too much to sit right in a mix for the average set of ear buds or loudspeakers. They might sound all bold and golden auditioning them from the preset browser, but then just don’t balance and mix well when arranging for ‘band’. Then there’s the totally different approaches as to how/when to use vibrato when it comes to band vs symphony.

Modern libraries are also terrible about only giving you ONE soloist if at all. Double it up to cover the parts and they flat out cancel each other out.

GPO5 felt unfinished to me. The new strings, I’ve had to rework every SFZ to get much useful from it. Noisy viola short bowed stuff. Attacks to slow and long for the long bows. It has some buggy percussion (not hard to fix, but it was easier to just roll back to the GPO4 versions). A few bad loop points here and there (not too hard to fix in the sfz). The new pianos and organs were worth it though. It was dirt cheap back when they offered the upgrade…piano and organ additions, and the new SAM brass alone were probably worth the price.

Yeah. I already have everything they make but the big Abby Piano.

Doesn’t seem to be much activity. It’s sad we don’t at least get an updated ARIA to keep Garritan working in windows for the next generation of hosts. Maybe they’ll do it at the last minute…but I’m not holding my breath.

On the other hand, I’m sick that I can’t really use HALion and Groove Agent as much as I’d like since they did the opposite, and won’t do a VST2 version. It’s a dance to get those sounds in Sibelius, Finale, Band in a Box, Reason, and a whole bunch of other stuff that’s still worth having on the hard drive (if not essential for many of us).

Band in a Box is supposed to get VST3 sometime in 2024…but for now, HALion/Groove Agent is kinda crippled in 90% of the hosts on the market right now. Failing to have VST2 versions messed up a lot of work and lesson plans for me :frowning: Now I’m regretting not just going with sforzando, and maybe investing in Chicken Systems for my course design work. Ugg…

1 Like

I’ve created a document of fixes for GPO Errors
GPO Errors.pdf (205.5 KB)

… but perhaps a ‘community’ effort for new SFZ files might yield the best results. I’d be very interested to see what you’ve done. And I’ll happily show you mine! :astonished:

1 Like

Thanks,

I’ll try to get it together to share. I doubt I still have ‘all of it’ since it’s occurred over different systems and installations over the years but I’ll drag up what I can remember and verify are tweaks. A few, I think I’ve shared on the MM zendesk forum (miss the old forum, it had so much info on it and a pretty active userbase. Zendesk kinda nuked all that. Seems like I found a few tweaks and fixes on the ‘old’ forums too…should be an archive of them somewhere?).