general dynamics questions

I know about the expression map programmation for C7 and C11 and I know about the ‘dynamics slider’ in Olympus Choir.
Still I always have problems with C7 and C11 and get very confused. I fight with CC automation for dynamics and and and…
Isn’t there a way so that Dorico just plays all my dynamics as written with a Dorico PlugIn like Olympus Choir?

• In the Endpoint-Configuration I choose the ‘standard’ expression map’ which is in my opinion linked to CC11 (as I can see in the expression-map configuration’
  • Anyhow I get complete other dynamics if I choose ‘keyvelocity + CC11’
  • Overall I often don’t get the dynamic-result which I wrote in my score with standard Dorico PlugIns and ‘standard’ expression map and I just don’t know why.

Can you guys tell me how to do it or how you handle dynamics or how to deal with C7 and C11 and when to use what or which configuration one should use to get the best dynamic-playback result (if this is possible to tell) please?

The other thing:
If I have to use CC automation on some spots in the track all my general Dorico-dynamic-signs will change their ‘velocity’ - won’t they?
So what’s the best way to combine CC and general-dorico-dynamics?

BTW
Paul wrote some stuff here: dynamic problem with instrument VST - Dorico - Steinberg Forums
But it doesn’t really solve my problems or I’m using it in the wrong way.

ok…I think I got it
like Paul explained in the link

• if I use a piano, I can use note velocity. So let’s say I put my ‘standard’ expression map on ‘note velocity’ and I assign my piano to the ‘standard expression map’…crescendi etc on a single note won’t be played back (which is not necessary/possible with a piano anyway).
  • if I use a singer and I want to hear the crescendi etc I need MIDI CC. So I have a ‘dynamics C11’ expression in my expression map and I assign my singer to it

Last question:
is there a way to fine-tune certain crescendi etc with automation WITHOUT having to automate the whole track but just that little spot where I need it? So affecting just the spot with the automation and NOT the overall dynamics?

ok I got it…that’s what sakasuri describes in another fred (Ideas about midi CC automation - Dorico - Steinberg Forums).

if I want to change dynamics at certain spots, I choose an expression map which combines ‘note velocity’ and ‘MIDI CC’ (as secondary dynamic).

• as long as dynamics like ‘p’ or’ mf’ or…are written within DORICO, DORICO plays back the velocity of the dynamic signs
  • when I choose ‘suppress playback’ of the dynamic signs (in the control panel) I can draw automations with CC and DORICO plays back the automation curve only at that certain spot where I ‘suppress playback’

again: cool solution of you guys from DORICO. But you have to understand all the links and what affects what…but yeah, I think I’ve got it - finally :laughing:

There are some things in the next Dorico update that make it easier to work with playback dynamics, so keep an eye out for the announcement.

I think the current solution is quite genius - but it took a while till the coin dropped :slight_smile:

What would really be cool would be

1. copying-pasting automations
  2. db numbers
  3. a better grid (higher resolution) for the automation - both horizontally and vertically (for microtonal music)…if you want (for example) end the note very soft and start the next note loud, you have a max grid of a 32rd for the automation which is quite a lot in a slow tempo…
  4. possibility of different dynamics for instruments using the same plug-in on different midi-channels.
  5. improvement of the mixer so it doesn’t prevent playback in certain situations

But I think you guys know all that

I’m guessing you already know you can set different Expressions Maps to different MIDI channels/slots of the same VST.

Yes, thanx Derek…
The big problem for me is, that you can’t use different dynamics within divisi - if this is possible, I’m doing something wrong, but I couldn’t figure it out yet and thinking about it logically, I can’t imagine that it will ever be possible :slight_smile:

You can use different dynamics with divisi provided you route each voice in each divisi section to an independent voice in Play mode.

Hey Daniel,
IMHO this is only possible - which seems logical- if this independent voice you are talking about in Play Mode, gets an individual instrument within the Plug-In in use, hence each voice is routed for example to another channel of the Plug-In, each channel of which contains another instrument.
Which means for a 4-part divisi, I need 4 different ‘instruments’ - which means (using it for other tracks, too) a lot of extra CPU (dependently from the Plug In of course).
Is all that right?
Thanx

That is correct.