General Impressions/Experience - Cubase 7

I’m well older than you. It’s a myth that modern production technology is for the young. It’s totally wasted on them.

Ha ha I couldn’t agree more speaking as someone 49 years old :slight_smile:

I just installed C7 on my PC (W7) and on my iMac which (10.6.8 SL) and everything is running perfectly no glitches no lack of sounds or presets even on SL everything is spot on.

Personally I LOVE LOVE LOVE the new mixer, just fantastic in every way, so crisp graphically and “modern looking” just fabulous.

Steinberg well done your brilliant.

The new mixer functionality is amazing, the new look of the arrange page is also fantastic.

I award Cubase 7 the award of “Number 1 DAW” - nothing comes close in my book.

tmy

+1

Ok I am not elder than you (27) but I confirm that I love the new console. It is perfect to have everything in one single screen

I’m really happy with the new look and feel.

The only thing is that I have experienced more “Cubase quit unexpectedly” after updating. This weekend 50% of my time and efforts in front of Cubase were wasted since unsaved work poofed. This typically happens when opening/closing a VST during play-back.

Am I the only one with this experience?

i’m having a close enough experience with C7!
it has crashed 3 times this past couple of hours with only a video track, one audio track (the audio for the video track) and the voxengo eq…
some things were saved because of automatic backups and vst presets!

Just in case it’s relevant, I’m 66 next birthday in Feb. I started with Cubasis way back

Lower the Auto-Save interval. :slight_smile:

Cool, I crawled the planet while Sweden was still driving cars on the left side of the street. I started using Cubase way back too (even used Pro 12 on the Atari). Before that we had to chisel the notes on to the score sheets. :wink:

Cubase rocks.

Ya? well, you know in the Bible where God says “Let there be light!”
Well I’d just finished laying the cables.
:laughing:

I know :blush:
The thing is, I didn’t like the auto-save function when I tried it a few years back in time. It didn’t distinguish between good and bad takes :laughing: (hmm…there should be a setting in the prefs for this). From now I’m using the countdown timer on my phone set to 10 min intervals. Time to save! Or are the eggs ready?

BTW. I’ve rebuildt the prefs folder, hoping that will help.

I personally use such thing as an timer, but I do want to know when and what I’m saving, for instance when loading a plug which is know to crash I first save and then open it, when crashing I just reopen. I have failed sometimes to do this and knocked my head to the wall because off all labor vanished. In fact I know when using the standard Cubase without third party elements C is very stable and doesn’t crash often.

A few post back I said the only slight niggle I had was that some plug-in instruments gave short hiccup when sounded/played for the first time in a project in Cubase 7 64bit.

I am happy to say I tracked this issue down and found a solution for this problem…

I seems that Windows Security Center/Windows Defender did not play nice when loading samples in some plugins. That behavior is fairly random. As an example: I had problems with Padshop Pro, but not with Halion Sonic SE (both 64 bit).

Anyway - I noticed a lot of disk activity when just running a simple project with only 25 soft-synth tracks (a lot of them used more then once so the total soft-synth count is only 8), 3 audio tracks and some FX channels. I do admit I do not have s super-strong system (i3-540, 8Gb memory, Windows 7 64 bit, Focusrite Saffire 6 USB), but it should run that project without even that slight once-only hiccup problem. So - time to take a look at the cause of the culprit. When taking a look in the taskmanager what application was accessing the disk that heavily, to my surprise it turned out to be the virus scanner service (Windows Security/Windows defender).

So - I uninstalled Windows Security Center and disabled Windows defender, and installed a much lighter virus scanner (I used Avast! free, but any light scanner would do). After that all my projects play without any hiccup or problem. I also noticed the VST performance meter no longer give any spike into the red and is on average a fair amount lower than before.

This leads to the following tip: If anyone is experiencing light stutter, hiccups, or small dropouts, having the VST meter sometimes spiking into the red etc. - and you are using Windows Security Center/Windows Defender, it could be worthwhile to install another virus protection. It is strange to see Microsoft’s own software is performing that bad, but I am glad I found out.

Oh - and by the way - I did not had this problem with Cubase 6.5. I can only guess what is the real cause of this small problem, but I think Cubase 7 is slightly heavier in use and/or Windows Security Center/Windows Defender is not playing nice with Cubase 7.

I am glad to say Cubase 7 is running great here. Until now I have not run into any serious problem (apart from the small thingie above). I certainly do not regret I did the update from 6.5 to 7. Now - back to work… :wink:

You may find that Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) does not act up in the manner you have described.

Sorry - my fault… Where I say “Windows Security Center” I meant to say “Microsoft Security Essentials”. I know MSE is said to be light in use, but in this situation it seems to be less beneficial - strange as it might sound.

As I said - installing Avast! free made a difference for me, but I do not say this is the case on another system/setup. If you have a good working system It could be even worse! It is fully possible another scanner is even better. I just told what happened to me and hope it will be a bit helpful for users that have the problems I describe.

Anyway - I use MSE on my “game” system, and it seems to be working great there. Oh - that twilight world of computing… I swear it is spooky sometimes… :wink:

I find one program that helps in many ways but in particular to remove used windows update packages, called BleachBit.

Does Nuendo allow more users on one project file at the same time?

Yes, all by IP address as well, so users can be on the LAN/Subnet or other internet.

Yes, but is not “real time” like VST connect.
Nuendo users can work on the same networked project at the same time, but
changes done in one networked project are sent over the internet or LAN, and updated “in the background” in the other connected networked projects. It is real time in that sense. You set when to update or do it manually.
The “owner” of the main project sets various permissions of the project, to limit (or not) what others can edit. It can be done on a track by track basis.
You cannot sync playback and record between networked projects.

didnt know that.i use nuendo 5.5 in a studio where i work, i just not need that feature in studio but at my home studio with C7 maybe its a good thing to have.