general midi program change

Is this on the next update?

As I want to use Dorico for teaching and in some places I want a config as light as possible. So I don’t want to use Hallion as vsti.
I installed the Roland Canvas (very light) using the white list: it’s ok but when I play have a piano sound in all the instruments so I must reassign the sound.
If I import a midifile, the instrument’s sound are all “piano”
So can you tell me how Dorico handle the progamm change?
Name doesn’t send programm change ?
General Midi?
Best regards
Dup

You cannot currently set up the mapping that would be needed to allow Dorico to specify the patch/program to use for each type of instrument that you add to your project. This will not be included in the next update, either, though it is a high priority (it’s also needed by Arne Wallander to get NotePerformer working with Dorico, for example) so I expect we will add it relatively soon.

Thanks again

I’ve not tried it yet, but the expressionmap editor seems to allow assigning a Program Change to a technique.

With that in mind, I’m guessing one could use one of the existing score techniques, drop that on a stave, and assign a PC to a corresponding expression map entry. To make the technique invisible change the alpha to 0 in its color setting.

I’ve noticed this too, but it doesn’t seem to be functional (yet) …

That’s correct - it was an omission that program changes weren’t being output. Now fixed for the next update. We will look into trying to have proper support for GM (and for other playback devices that rely on program changes) in a future version, so hopefully you won’t have to use these workarounds for too long.

Hello,
I download the 2.2 demo of dorico and since 10 May 2017 you said that general midi program change will be ok in next update.
I tried to
1.import a midifile and Use Sound Canvas Va but it’s not ok all play with piano sound
2.Create a new project with Sound Canvas Va as vst and I creat a flute part : piano sound instead
So who is wrong: me or Dorico?
best regards

There’s no General MIDI (or indeed GS or XG) playback template, so Dorico doesn’t know which program changes it ought to output in order to trigger the right sounds in the Sound Canvas. I’ll try to spend some time on this in the near future but it’s unlikely I’ll make any headway before Christmas with everything else going on at the moment.

Here is a set of GM and GM2 expression map templates that should do the job. It works for me with my external Roland Fantom XR unit.

Note these do not establish any default channel volume (cc7), channel panning (cc10), reverb (cc91), or chorus (cc93)settings. If you want this, simply add it to the Expression Maps as needed.

The Maps should also work with any VSTi plugin that accepts program changes and has a General MIDI instrument list.
Dorico General MIDI Expression Maps.zip (17 KB)
Example for my Fantom XR:

1. In the play tab set up a MIDI Instrument.

2. While in the play tab, chose “Play/Expression Maps…” from Dorico’s main menu.

3. Click “Import Library” to Import the GM I or GM II expression map attached above and click OK.

4. In the play tab, assign each Player/Instrument to your MIDI Instrument. Assign the relevant Expression Map(s) in the “Endpoint Settings” of your MIDI Instrument.

@Daniel Thanks for the reply and the good news.

@Brian: Thanks also for the time your took to reply. I tried but we must do this every time with a new project and with a new instrument: so I can do this in the Vsti as well or am I wrong?
Best regards

As far as I know, unless you make your own starting template scores over time that have all of your custom expressionmaps, you’ll need to import the maps for each new project that requires them.

Yes, you can manually configure your GM instrument if you prefer. For external units mounted off in some studio rack, or in the computer chassis, etc… it’s not always the most convenient thing to do, so I slapped these together real quickly in an xml editor as a starting point.

Typically I’ll add a bit to the maps for each project. I.E. Panning, Reverb, Chorus, and in some cases I’d elect to go with CC11 style dynamics over velocity. As they are, it’s just the bank and program change events to get started.

When using maps such as these, you should find that your expressionmap interpretation will be included in exported MIDI files. So, even if you do not have a GM instrument, but would like to make some SMF GM or GM2 files…these maps will help you out.

@Daniel
I just updated dorico to 3.0: really a great job but I came back with this topic general midi and don’t find it:
In 10 May 2017, you promise me :so I expect we will add it relatively
09 Dec 2018 you wrote again: I’ll try to spend some time on this in the near future
So where is the implation I don’t see it or you still don’t implant it? snif!!
best regards
Dup

Sorry, Dup, we’ve just not had a chance to work on this yet. It’s not something that we are asked for with the same regularity as some of the other things we have been working on. I’ll talk to Paul again about this and see what we can do. Your plan is still to use the Roland Virtual Sound Canvas?

Well, I join you here in the waiting line, Dup. I desperatly need this issue for class teaching and quickly check out old GM stuff I wrote.
The patience on my side is also a bit wearing out, because I thought, this is some minor thing to fix.
And for writing my arrangements I’m so used to my special sounds on the external keyboard, that I would really love to have them back.
So a simple Midi Instrument with programm change orders would do for me …

@Daniel
Great thanks to answer me. Yes could be great to use Roland Virtual Sound Canvas: so small, so quick and I use notation music program only to write and to print music.
For audio rendering composition I have a lot of arsenal with cubase,all vsl,8dio,amplesound…and plugin…and microphone…
Best regards
Dup

hello
Thanks for the 3.1 but …
my Christmas gift wasn’t inside!
I read on answer 10 May 2017

by Daniel at Steinberg » 10 May 2017 08:18
so I expect we will add it relatively soon.

so :wink:
Best regards

Well, in geological time I think we’re still in the timeframe of “relatively soon”…

:wink: …for extend your idea, I often say in french:

parfois le temps met du temps pour prendre son temps

In English I think something like that:

Sometimes time takes time to take his time

Best regards

That is a lovely saying! And very true.

I’m looking to notate synthesizer techniques, and I would like to notate the patch changes for starters. For example, I want to import a MIDI file with a single channel of performance data and have the program change messages displayed in the score. Is that possible in Dorico? Even just printing the program change number in the right places would be all I need. I have Dorico Pro 2.