General Questions

I don’t really know what you’re talking about. Sorry. It wouldn’t surprise me if it wasn’t set up properly, even if it’s the default setup. I’m quite angry at this point.

That’s because you haven’t created the outputs inside of Kontakt as shown in the videos. In your screenshot you can clearly see that the output you created is still NOT “connected”. You need to do this manually and then save it in Kontakt. Then, and only then will it show up as stereo outs in the correct manner inside of Cubase. I suggest watching these videos over and over, cause you’re missing the details (even if they’re not the same version of Kontakt, this parts is exactly the same as yours - trust me!).

I would make a video for you but I don’t own Kontakt. However, I promise you it wouldn’t be any different than what those people are showing you in their videos.

See where it says “kt. unassigned”? Connect these to the physical outs of each channel in pairs. All outputs in Kontakt are mono by default, so you have to combine them (two mono outs make up a pair or stereo out). So grab “kt. unassigned 3 and 4” for your second stereo pair, then “kt. unassigned 5 and 6” for the third pair, etc.

HTH

It’s SO CLOSE to working now! I don’t get sound though. I restarted my project after saving but it simply doesn’t play sound through my other tracks. I have one last plan up my sleeve…

EDIT: No matter what I do, nothing works. I’ve created three/four stereo outs using the unassigned mono tracks, but no sound comes out of any stereo output other than the first default one. What am I missing? Must I have an audio interface for this to work? Does the fact that these mono tracks are labeled with numbers past 20 mean anything? Sigh…

What jose7822 says for manual setup.
or:

Top left pulldown of the “outputs” contains presets of standard output configurations, you can select an configuration there and re-open Kontakt.

Or you could try to extract this Kontakt 4 file to your “Output Section Presets” folder of Kontakt (not sure where it’s located on a Mac). And open it with the outputs preset menu in Kontakt (after a restart of Kontakt). This file should give you 28 Stereo outs and 4 stereo sends.

And don’t forget to assign the outputs to the instruments in Kontact and activate the outputs in the Cubase instrument rack :wink:

I’ve done pretty much everything- even trying to install that cfg file is madness- I have no idea where to put it! Is there anything anyone can do to help me fix this? I’m fairly certain that I’ve followed all of the proper steps…

If I where you I would check the NI KB or NI Forum because I doubt this is a Cubase problem. The Procedure of assigning outputs didn’t changed a lot since 3.5. Maybe there’s a Mac user on the NI forum that can hook you up with a Kontakt 5 .cfg file and location instructions for that file.

Strangely enough I finally got it all to work- sort of. Cubase still doesn’t recognize the tracks as stereo outs, so I have to activate each mono and aux output. It’s extremely weird but it works. I’d still like to get it to work nicely with everything labeled as stereo though. Thanks for the help- if the procedure can be improved then that would be good. (I found the location for the configuration file as well.)

Sounds like you need more practise using the instructions from the manual before trying to confuse yourself more by attempting to shoehorn the program into doing something it’s not designed to do.

Big programs need to be learned inside out the way they ARE before redesigning the interface the way you want / think it to be.
Simple thinking leads to more progress than confused thinking.

I’ve got a bet on with myself that you may be back within the fortnight wondering why Cubase is crashing. :mrgreen:

Cubase likes basic, and really seems to have it in for anyone that messes with it’s basics. Please, for your own sake, take care.

By all means I’m doing nothing that should give Cubase any problems. The opposite is true; Cubase is giving me trouble. It should be relatively simple to split the outputs, and I’ve almost done it 100% correctly. It works, but the output list doesn’t read as stereo outputs, but a large number of mono ones. It WORKS, but I have a feeling that Cubase isn’t recognizing everything properly. Cubase is the opposite of basic.

Cubase can be basic or hardcore it depends on your approach and knowledge. The thing is you seems to leave the easy part for more pro techniques and you have not “landed” yet. In a few months this i basics for you. Dont forget to assign different midi files and change the midi channels in the project and kontakt. If you want to play different outputs at the same time assign the monitor button on the midi channels.
Also you could be a bit more humble. This guys have helped you a lot!

Synchronizer,

I can guarantee you that the problem lies not in Cubase, nor in Kontakt. There are thousands of people who use both together everyday without issues. If there was a problem, we would know by now. This is basic Multi-Out synth functionality, and it applies to any multi-out synth there is (including Kontakt of course). I think you’re still missing something, but at least you’re getting closer each time.

Don’t take what I’m about to say as an insult, but you really need to study the basics of how MIDI works. Once you understand this, you will see that eveything will make more sense. The Cubase and Kontakt manuals are your friends. I’m pretty positive there’s a chapter somewhere in the Konatkt manual explaining this procedure in detail. The Output section of the Kontakt manual is very important as well.

Cubase likes a basic approach by the user, ie: conventional, there’s not much room for morphing the program to other ends than outlined in the manual which I think you’re trying to do here. I think it’s more than likely, due to unfamiliarity, that you will give Cubase problems if you keep trying to get it to do what it can’t.
Between us we’ll try and work out if Cubase can do something like what you’re doing but (here’s the chicken and egg)until you know what question to ask we probably won’t know the answers.

And a question. Where have you seen ANY synth or sampler that does give you multitimbral stereo outputs? Give a few names as they escape me at the moment. Hardware or software.

Also, not an instant process but if you render any one Instrument track to Audio (or Export to a WAV, say) and then reimport the audio to a stereo channel you would then have a pseudo stereo (“double mono”) track.

Thanks for the help everyone. I’m sure I AM missing something, but it seems that I can’t find it. In the meantime…

Is there a way to remap what the modulation wheel does in Cubase? I’m trying to make it control velocity instead of modulation; there doens’tseem to be a way to do this in Kontakt, but in HALion Sonic SE, you could select such controls. I guess that was the advantage of using HSO SE. Is there a way to do this? Most of my older compositions utilize modulation to control velocity (for violins especially).

EDIT: Yes I’ve experimented, googled, and looked through the manual. None of the key words I’m using turn up results. I assume it has something to do with the VST expression pane on the left of every midi channel, but it doesn’t seem to change anything.

Input transformer - though I have not used this for a decade or more

I wouldn’t know about an input transformer- I’ll look, but something tells me it’ll be tricky; especially since I want modulation to be transformed into velocity ONLY on specified midi outputs.

OH, and I don’t want this to occur when recording with the modulation wheel; It must READ modulation data as velocity.
(What I’ve tried so far in the transformer doesn’t work)

Sorry for the bump, but I’ve figured it out somewhat. I got modulation to read as volume in the transformer insert, but volume is not synonymous with velocity. Velocity doesn’t seem to be a parameter at all, so unfortunately there doesn’t appear to be a way to control velocity with modulation commands. Am I incorrect?

You can’t really control velocity I think, as velocity is a parameter of a single note, not a continuously changing value (with the exception of note expression, which I don’t think you’re using.). Volume is assigned to the volume control on your VSTi.

Interesting, because I thought HALion Sonic SE’s Symphonic pack actually controls velocity with modulation. Maybe it was just volume all along. Too bad velocity isn’t controllable then; it would be a great new technology to implement wouldn’t it? Real violin players are able to change velocity all the time for example.

It was already implemented back in the 80’s.
Maybe you should experiment a bit with “volume” (usually cc7) and above all “expression” (usually cc11) :wink: