Generate Chord Symbols from notes ignoring root and giving 6 chords

For example, I write a Em/D and Dorico will chord this as a G6 instead.
I know the solution is somewhere in the Engraving Options>Chords but I just can’t find it.

Make sure that one of the instruments you are generating the notes for is playing the bassline - in other words, one of the instruments needs to be in the list of “Bass note instruments” in the “Blending and Bass notes” section of the dialog.

Where are those options located?

I’m writing for piano only, but it keeps generating the wrong chord.

This G6/D should be an Em7/D

Em7/D? (I agree Dorico keeps getting it wrong!)

1 Like

In the dialog itself:

I’m not trying to generate notes from symbols but symbols from the notes I entered.

Yes, I wrote an Em7/D as in the picture, but when I tried to generate the name for the chord, it gave me a G6/D, which… could be technically correct but shouldn’t be the only or even the first option.

Apologies, I misread your post. I’ll have to ask one of the developers about this - it seems to be preferring 6 chords to m7 chords when they’re in inversion, but I’m not sure why.

The basic problem is that E,G,B,D can be either G6 or Em7, and they’re both relatively “simple” chords (with no alterations or additions). Dorico will prefer chord “spellings” that are in root position, so if G is in the bass it will choose G6, and if E is in the bass it will choose Em7. However, if both possibilities are in inversion - as they are here - then it seems to be choosing G6, and that probably isn’t the best choice. We’ll have to look into that here I’m afraid - there aren’t any settings in Dorico that would allow you to control this.

I think it is the best choice and Dorico isn’t doing anything wrong here. It is very common to have a maj6 chord over the 5th as in this progression below, where Dorico correctly generates the chord symbols:

In the following progression Dorico gets it “wrong” as this should clearly be Em7/D, but that takes a bit of musical knowledge that I wouldn’t expect Dorico to have:

A major 6th chord over a 5th is more commonly found, so if Dorico has to pick one way of analyzing the exact same notes, it is choosing the correct way. If you need something different, just type in the chord symbol rather than using the “have Dorico guess at chords” feature.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m doing it manually, it is just for a large number of chords it gets kinda of annoying, I’d expect to at least have a setting to set the parameter butI guess we’ll see in the future!

Thank you for clarifying, hope we get a way to control this in the future!

To be honest, I always just type in the chord symbols as I don’t want to leave anything to chance. If Dorico could look at the previous couple of symbols and the next couple in order to resolve any ambiguousness with maj6 vs m7, that would be really cool, but I’m not holding my breath for that one. From a compositional standpoint, I know what I want and I’ll type it in, and from an analytical standpoint, I like to do the analysis and see what was written.

1 Like

I get what you are saying and I agree with you. But I’m currently making dozens of arrangements and this recourse would be very well appreciated to avoid some unnecessary and very tiring process of copying, pasting or even changing everything by hand. I mean, it’s a software, if I wanted to write everything by hand even in bigger and repetitive tasks I might as well use pen and paper.

Eh, not gonna argue that point, but there needs to be quite a bit of horizontal analysis, not just vertical, to get this consistently correct. Perhaps that will come in the future!