Generate Notes - a lot of fun!

First, many thanks for 4.3. A huge update and it’s great to see Dorico just getting better and better. I can’t believe it’s already 6 years since v1 and it’s genuinely amazing how it’s developed in that time.

I’ll get round to the rest of it in the next couple of weeks but I was really intrigued by the Generate Notes feature so I dived right in. I’m attaching a file (you can blame Anthony as he asked for examples). Just 10 bars.

Bottom line: I found the new feature fascinating. I’ve no doubt that the more I use it, the better I’ll get with it and the more I’ll learn how to make it work for me. I’m a novice when it comes to orchestration - this feature goes a long way not just to helping me, but also to doing the work for me. Best of all it sets things up where it encourages ideas and decisions - counterpoint and voicings in particular - and I think that’s brilliant.

A couple of thoughts I had while going through it.

1. I changed a few chords along the way and found myself Cmd-Z’ing upwards through the score to get back to what I wanted. Is there an undo previous generation feature? If not, that would be useful.
  2. I took what Dorico generated as a basis for development and made a few changes myself. The feature is built around conventional rules. As someone not that experienced with those rules I would be fascinated to have Dorico look at the end result and mark where it thinks things are conventionally wrong. That would be both educational and useful. I’ve no idea if it’s possible…

Anyway - just feedback. Thanks again, I’m looking forward to using it with other tempos, instruments and different styles of music.

Test- Generate Notes.dorico (727.7 KB)