Generic Remote Commands Missing in Midi Remote

I’m just setting up my MIDI controllers with the new MIDI Remote editor. It’s superb. So much better than the old system.

However - I’ve just got around to applying ‘Activate Count-In’ to a button - and it seems it’s no longer available as an assignment. I appreciate that I can just assign a key command for this function - but that won’t work with the LED being either on or off on my controller button, so that’ll be one more button with no visual feedback on the controller.

It may seem a small issue - but I’m really hoping that there aren’t too many more omissions like this in the new system. :frowning:

1 Like

Looks like I’ll still be using Generic Remote for some things for now.

From what I can see, there’s currently no per-channel control over Channel Strip or Inserts in the new Midi Remote. Those are quite serious ones, for me.

5 Likes

Yes same thing for inserts (On/bypass/edit…) of selected channel missing in the new “Midi Control” hope some update on this…

3 Likes

I am also missing a way to setup Direct Routing, which is quite a critical thing for me.
Will work around it with generic remote for now though, as I expect this to show up soon enough.
Just hoping it’s not a forgotten thing.

I use Lemur on an iPad and using Generic Remote I can monitor signal levels - like cue send levels and whatnot. I can’t see how to do that with the new MIDI remote.

I’d love to see all functionality from the Generic Remote eventually brought over to the new MIDI remote.

I’ve been using the Generic Remote for programming several functions. I noticed the announcement in the setup window that it will be discontinued, (when and why?) and that you’ll need to use the new “Midi Remote” setup window.

That’s okay with me. But I have setup a specific function to set the shuttle speed to a custom value (by programming a Midi CC number with a specific value). By using a midi remote controller I am able to program it so that the shuttle speed is variable, other than the standard speeds (1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 2x, 4x etc). This function is located in the Generic Remote by selecting “Transport > Device > shuttleSpeed”. I am unable to find this function in the new MIDI Remote setup. Has it been removed?

Once you get over your initial excitement of building your little box, take a step back and think about what you’re actually doing here, it’s absolutely ridiculous. The amount of time people are spending making or trying to make these scripts (there is no guarantee it’ll stay like this btw, so be cautious with your time) is just crazy to me, unless you like coding for fun I suppose. I do programming for work and this situation where the average user who bought the software to make music with is now having to learn an APi which is best described as basic and laborious at best is very poor business to me. The remotes a great idea don’t get me wrong, but like everything Steiny do, it’s always missing the last 10% that would just bring you over the line isn’t it? I mean, to advertise a remote making feature so heavily, supply only a tiny handful with the product and not provide an interactive way to map secondary functions…… are you kidding me? I can set the keyboard I’m typing on right now to type the word ‘wasteoftime’ when I enter ~+T for god sakes.

Anyway, before I get in too much trouble I wanted to let those who aren’t interested in learning manual coding to check out a free plug in called ‘element’. I believe it stated out as a wrapper for some VST2/3 issue no doubt but it lets you map control surfaces (even if they aren’t physically real), midi channels, combine plugins, trigger CC events based on other stuff and all that kind of thing. The people that make it seem really helpful. I’ve only used it for a couple of small things but what It did saves me a lot of time I would have wasted on excel tables, macros, lots of copy and pasting to be left with annoying work arounds that you find out are unavoidable right at the end. C’mon guys, you know this has happened to you a 100 times by now am I right?

I just read the comment by a user saying ‘I hope they bring this and that function from the generic remote across to the new one’

Think about that for a second…. Why isn’t it bloody there now! We don’t need a nice looking JPEG in front of us to replicate the Same Bloody Unit we’ve got we need/want to map things quickly and neatly so we can get back on with, ya know, writing songs!

Jake,
Are you referring to GitHub - kushview/element: Element Audio Plugin Host ?

Yeah that’s the one, one of the best of that kind of thing I’ve ever seen, nice and simple. From memory the last thing I was doing was mapping just one key to trigger a CC that’s one of those hidden ones (Shift + etc) and it nailed it. I assume it’s only grown into a much bigger better beast by now.

Thanks…I wanted to make sure before I dived in.

How did you go man? Did you manage to get secondary functions to map correctly? this is the biggest hurdle I think (and my biggest issue with the native remote control as it stands)