Generic Remote in Cubase - New YT video is up!

Hello!

In this video I will tackle the Generic Remote concept in Cubase.
This is just a brief introduction to the idea and I might create few more follow-up videos on this topic if the demand would be there.
A cheat-sheet with the Generic Remote list in Cubase 7.5 can be downloaded here:

http://www.picturelockaudio.com/CUBASE_7.5_Generic_Remote__Finally_(Almost)_All_Options_On_One_Page%20.jpg

Enjoy!

nice explanation. i never really understood generic remote in cubase, now i know better thanks to this video,especially how the Banks work.
do you know if it’s possible to Bypass Eq,Inserts,sens,Channel strip, on selected channel ?
i couldn’t find any on key commands and i can’t find any on the Generic remote list.

Hi mozizo,

of course this is possible, this is what GR is for :wink:

Let’s assume your audio track is named “Guitar-Rhythm”
1.)In the “Device” column choose the “Mixer”
2.)In the “Channel/Category” go for your exact track - “Guitar-Rhythm”
3.)In the “Value/Action” choose “Sends Bypass” or “Strip 3 EQ Bypass” or “Insert Bypass” …

Hopefully it helps You!

Cheers!

OK.i got it, works also on selected track ))
i wish i could assign it to my CC121, but there is no option on the CC121 command menu to bypass selected channel inserts sends etc… only global or master fader… as in key commands.
well maybe its time to buy another midi controller.
Thanks that was very helpful !

Nice… actually i can assign those controls to CC121 function buttons, in GR, and it works (only the bypass Channel strip is missing in GR list)
And also if i select a “Factory” preset for the assignable function buttons they both work together…2 different function in one button push.

There You go!

slowly digging into all the possibilities GR has to offer you will be able to configure your controller to do exactly what you need. It is very flexible system but it all depends on how you work and what tools you use. Once setup properly you can be super-fast in your productions.
I’m glad I could help a fellow Cubaser a bit!

Cheers!

Hi all,

many thanks to the original poster for his work.

I am one of the users who really spent a lot of time with the generic remote Feature and I feel obliged to give you a warning hint: While some things are quite usefull the whole concept is a bastard Feature - many important things are not working (you will find out over time) and the implementation is a nightmare. The concept itself is also a big issue. One example, just to Show you what I am talking about: You cannot build a generic remote template for Controlling a certain plug in and reuse it easily whenever you insert a new instance of this plugin. The remote is mainly tied to the Project (a generic remote that adapts to your mixer Setup is also not really possible!).

I have really done a lot with generic remote and I would give everybody the strong advise to only use it if absolutely necessary . Use Quickcontrols instead or get a good Controller.

All the best - please dont get me wrong. This is not a rant, but INFORMATION :slight_smile:
(The term “bastard Feature” for generic remote was created by one of the Steinberg Moderators here! :slight_smile: ).

Cheers, Ernst

Yes, Id suggest avoiding GR for any commands related to a particular channel as once it has been reordered in the arrange, it stops working, or worse-- it starts controlling a wrong channel or a different plugin etc. Very badly thought out.

I however use it plenty for any…generic commands :wink: commands affecting the currently selected channel should also be fine.

Hi … yes… thats the way it is.

Just to make sure everybody understands I am reaaaalllllly experienced with GR: I am “on cubase” since SX3. Postet tons of Posts, the Counter was reset with the new Forum.

I am 35 but looking like 54, which is just because of the many attempts to use GR meaningfully…

;o)

Ernst

Hi Elien,

thanx for the input.
You are totally right!
It is very important to understand how the whole concept works and it is really bad that Steinberg is not giving us all the information and are trying to sell it as a wonder-tool. It has flaws - for sure. BUT, once you are clear about what it CAN and CAN NOT do for you it is a great help.
One thing to be clear about: Cubase don’t really care what is the NAME of your track, the track name is only for you to look at!!! All the mappings are done by looking at the track NUMBER. This is a very important point but sadly you can’t find a warning in the manual.
So, if your “Guitar” is actually track number 5 and you do all the GR settings and than add a “Bass” before the “Guitar”, all the GR settings will be reffering to track No. 5 - “Bass” since the “Guitar” is Tr.No.6 right now. Same goes if you add FX channels, Groups etc. and the track order/count shifts.
And THAT’s why I use it mostly on already created orchestral templates with tons of tracks, sends and groups. If I am adding new tracks, I make sure those go underneath the tracks I already have. This way all is good and well.
Of course this concept is very Project oriented, that’s the idea. For more allround tasks there are Keycommands.
I think that the key here is to combine GR, Key Commands, Macros and Logical Presets.
You are also right that some commands are simply not working, I’ll keep bugging Steinberg about it.
All in all it is a great feature IMHO and with touch screens popping up in many studios nowadays with the ability to change the whole controller layout, midi commands mappings, colors etc. it is just speeding up the process immensely.
I will agree that it makes no sense for small sessions with few tracks and stuff constantly changing but for a film scoring templates with +400 tracks and some advanced routing it really is the way to go.
For me at least :wink:
Of course nobody is forced to use it at all.

Cheers!

You can have a look at my BCR 2000 implementation for Cubase with Generic Remote.
I use it a a luxury cc121, because it has 14Bit controls on the rotary for eq´s and LED rings of course.
I use it with MCU Pro.

There are some tricks in my xml that you can´t access via the generic remote editor in Cubase!