Generic Remote - Useless!!!

I’m using cubase 5 and i assume this is the same in Cubase 6.

When you use a generic remote like Korg Kontrol, you can select one of the audio tracks, then set up one of the faders to control the ‘selected’ effects send level in your project - lovely!!! EXCEPT:

As soon as you then select a midi channel, and go into the Generic Remote page, you loose all your settings.

Cubase does not have seperate remote controls for Midi and Audio tracks, so any setups you do in the generic remote setup page for audio tracks, won’t be remembered as they don’t also apply to midi tracks.

Rubbish…

Useless?
Naw … it depends on what you control it with.

I don’t have a Korg Kontrol so I can’t tell if you can do something like what you can on in my case a Behringer BCR2000. On that you can assign all the buttons in the upper list in the “Generic Remote Editor” in Cubase and then assign functions in the lower in several setups in the lower list. On the BCR2000 I assigned two function keys to move up and down between the setups in the lower list. Maybe you have a button or two to assign to something like that on the Korg Kontrol? Then you could assign one setup for audio and one for MIDI.

Not sure if it helps? :confused:

Hi Howling Ulf -

I was just reading about the BCR2000 and BCF2000 earlier today, and now you are posting on them! I was wondering earlier if they were “good enough” for Cubase, and now I see you use them, so - question answered! :smiley:

May I ask please … when you use the words “in several setups in the lower list” … I’m not quite sure what you are referring to … maybe the four banks of parameters in the small “Generic Remote” window? Or …?

Also - wondering what caught your eye in the BCR2000 more than the BCF2000? Wanted more controls, not necessarily faders?

Thanks, Howling Ulf!

It is working as expected, I actually made a presentation at a fair in Mexico City a few days ago and no problems at all.
The MIDI Learn is easier as before, nothing to do wrong.
It´s more a question of how somebody organizes his project. Besides you can use several generic remotes at a time, so you could consider let´s say two nanokontrols, one for audiotracks and the other for midi tracks. It also depends on how it is configured.
All the best.

Roger

Try the help button in the Generic Remote Setup. It makes a much more coherent description than I’d ever come up with.

Well, my reasoning for getting the R instead of the F was more about the quality of the flying faders. They usually cost A LOT more for one fader than the whole BCF2000! And how long will they last?
But more controls is of course something much better than flying faders, no doubt. :sunglasses:

Thanks, roger-s and Howling Ulf. I’m not sure which I’ll get, probably “start small” with the NanoKontrol, since I’ve never used a generic remote, then see later about moving up to the BCR2000 or BCF2000.

The one thing in favour of a BCF is Mackie emulation mode. Then you don’t need to go anywhere near Generic remote, the faders work as faders, and pan, send levels and EQ for each track are just there and work… flawlessly in the 2 years I’ve had mine, and motorised faders!

I’ve set my preset 01 up to function like a channel strip with just about everything there is for one channel and then in the lower part of the Generic Remote setup everything is assigend to “selected”, so whatever track is selected I have a knob or button for vol, pan, all EQ parameters, send, Quick Control and maybe something more if I stretch my arm 30cm to the left of me. I also had two spare rotors and one of them I “hardwired” to the Metronome volume. I love that knob! :laughing:

And, Oh yeah, the push function of the upper row of 8 rotary knobs I set to display the 8 GUIs of the insert effects, so no matter where I am in the program I can always hit a button and get one of those in my face.

Do I like this box? Yes! :sunglasses: