GENERIC REMOTE: Why are so many commands modal?

Oh I wasn’t grousing about XML. It would just be nice if all of that XML, PLE, Macros/Key Commands, Generic Remote, if all of that were accessible as an API in Lua, or even sigh python.

I would much rather have XML than JSON. or anything else. In fact that PLEs aren’t actually XML is a big disappointment. When the saved data is in XML you can write your scripts to manage the static information in whatever language you like, as I am doing in Java because → JAXB.

Why is the body of the PLE in HEX? did they think that would speed it up? Seems like a last minute hack. (Sorry to whoever designed that!!! I’ve done similar things in the past.) But doing the hard work of making that all accessible so that we COULD access it through XML would be fine. I could live with that, as it is one more hard task I don’t have to do to reverse engineer the HEX.

I mean, the last thing they want is for the reved HEX to be out there doing god knows what. If it were any other app this would be a security breach because you can rev it by making one of everything. The thing is, it won’t take any longer to do that, than it did to write the Template I’m using right now, so it isn’t that much work really. Just getting that to proper XML would be amazing.

However, if it were in Lua, then you could manage things with variables in real time, you wouldn’t have to know ahead of time what the variables values were. In PLEs there are no variables. It’s copy and paste. And any compiled-to-XML solution can have variables, but you have to know what they might be ahead of time, because the code that runs is static. (Even if you do rev the HEX.)

In Lua you could have variables in real time, that you do not know the value of ahead of time.

I am intrigued by your spreadsheet to XML. for the gaming mouse. If you want to show it off, that would be a lot of fun. But that’s mapped to key commands right? not Generic Remote?

Have you seen this thread: Creative thinking needed (?), retrieve track names from Cubase to MIDI or OSC

grrrr: Java Script < Python