Get an SSD!

Fair enuf mate, My point to dmbaer is it will work 100% OK, as in you can take it home and plug it in as you don’t need a special adapter to fit the cables and what not
@teknatronik when you install your OS on your SSD make sure you choose the GPT format and not the older MBR (though theres no real harm with MBR)

thnx bro! I have never used an ssd so I appreciate the knowledge :slight_smile: Ill keep my samples and whatnot on my other internal 7200 for now… I guess down the road I may want to move them to ssd as well.

I ONLY use them in our NAS, or use old ones for backups of libraries.

Mind you, as soon as we could afford SSDs en masse, the NASs would get them as well.

I love the lack of noise, vibration and heat with SSDs. The four WD 10k Raptors I used to have chewed up 40W and needed their own large fan.

I use an Icydock MB996SP-6SB ToughArmor 6x 2.5" SATA HDD Hot Swap Mobile Rack.

Makes it compact, easy to access the SSDs, and frees up the case to allow better airflow. For SSDs, you can turn off its fan.

excellent! Ty

Fans off it will be.

Actually, given the limit of 10k writes per block for commercial SSDs, the effective life of an SSD is:
a) Proportional to the ongoing spare space on the drive.
b) Inversely proportional to the amount of writing.

By my calculations, unless you are using your SSDs for 24x7 activities, like web databases or a super-busy professional massively multi-track studio, a minimum of 10-15GB spare space on an SSD will allow it to last 100+ years, which means that it will probably be obsolete or fail catastrophically before that.

Just for info on the Icydock, mine became exceedingly unreliable in the last year – neither OS booting up half the time–, so I pulled it out, and now use a US$13 6-way SATA power switch to turn off the drive I don’t want to boot from, or keep the sample and projects drive off when not required (which is 99.9% of the time these days).

I have the older Samsung 850 Pro SSDs. They have 10 year warranty. I did actually have one die but Samsung replaced it. SSDs tend to just die without warning unlike regular hard drives which often show some signs of data corruption or slowing down before dying. Just make sure to keep everything backed up.

People that use Kontkat and large recording sessions with many audio tracks benefit the most from SSDs.

In general, SSDs solve any DAW storage performance issues.

Fortunately, none of my SSDs were damaged by the IcyDock.