GET VIRTUAL GUITARIST 3

at the end of this interview there is some hope for VG?

(its in Japanese ,use translator)

I have VG2 and still use it on win10 but to get things working correctly I have to render the tracks to audio before recording anything else. I had a look if there was anything similar out there and can’t find anything anywhere near as good.

So just adding my voice for VG3 or even getting the plugin part up to date as 64bit so it works on my DAW well. Come on this is a great plugin especially for non guitarists.

Hey, everybody. Check this out. Looks like our prayers have been answered.

no acoustic :frowning:

There will not be a VG3 as all the material and some other legal stuff owned by Wizoo is not part of AVID / Air music. VG was made in collaboration between Steinberg and Wizoo, Wizoo is bought by AVID and never saw daylight again.

By the way, I still have VG2 working in my windows 10 64 bit and had it always working in 8.1, did you try “run as administartor” ?

You could try AcousticSamples ‘Sunbird’, the first one that may be even better than my VG2.

Check out ujam amber and sparkle . Aparently Ujam is part of the team that made wizoo virtual guitarists.

???
I just listened to the video demo.
You can’t get VG2 to sound that bad/fake…

Wish Steinberg released Virtual Guitarist 3

That isn’t going to happen. Wizoo were bought by Digidesign, which became Avid. Subsequent transactions have resulted in what was Wizoo now being called Air Music Technology, which is part of inMusic, putting them under the same ownership as Akai Professional and M-Audio.

Whilst we don’t know the details of the contractual relationship between Steinberg and Wizoo, it is clear that this relationship was terminated when Wizoo was bought by Digidesign and that after a period, Steinberg either lost the right to keep selling the Wizoo-developed instruments or decided that the end of their ability to support the Wizoo-developed instruments meant that they should cease sales.

It might be that the ending of the Steinberg/Wizoo agreement means that nobody has the right to develop those instruments further. It seems pretty certain that Steinberg did not get rights to the source code and to release further versions. If Avid has the source code and rights, they will not be interested. Even if AirMusicTech has the source code and the right to release further versions, things have moved on - if there was no commercial case to develop the product further some 8 years ago, then there is even less likelihood that a case can be made now. A codebase for a plugin that has not been worked on for ten years is likely to be all but worthless now - APIs, SDKs, compilers and the capabilities of typical user hardware all move on, and nobody will have the familiarity with the existing code that they had just after the last release. Just making the old code work as a 64-bit VST3 on modern operating systems might be a fair amount of work.

It is time to look at what is in the marketplace now, not keep harking back to long-discontinued software that will be difficult or impossible to run on modern hardware, operating systems and DAWs.

Steinberg doesn’t need to rely on Wizoo. They can make completely new virtual rhythm guitar from scratch with more patterns than VG2, and hopefully better sound, and avoid any licensing issues from wizoo.

We have no idea what rights Wizoo retained at the end of the Steinberg/Wizoo deal. Unless Steinberg retained all the intellectual property rights - which is unlikely - then they could not release Virtual Guitarist 3 as a superset of Virtual Guitarist 2 because they couldn’t perfectly reimplement the Virtual Guitarist 2 behaviour except by extensive reverse engineering. The chances are that many of the rights remained with Wizoo and that Steinberg would be sued if they released anything too close to Virtual Guitarist 2. Steinberg could release a guitar instrument (and, indeed, they have released some: TGuitar, MGuitar and Electric Bass), but not something in a continuous line of development back to Virtual Guitarist 2.

It is so long since Virtual Guitarist 2 was released and then taken off sale that there is essentially no ongoing goodwill from the old product except for a few users who fondly remember Virtual Guitarist 1 or 2. If some company feels there is a profit to be made by releasing a similar product then they will develop and release it.