Getting Kontakt to work in Dorico 4

Hi Folks,

I am attempting to using Kontakt with Dorico 4 for a SATB piece and am having troubles at the final hurdle.

By that I mean, I can load one instance of Kontakt (with four instruments) or four instances of Kontakt (with one instrument each) and the input routing works just fine and I can hear the result which sounds good.

My problem is that the sound does not go through the Dorico mixer in the expected manner. Everything seems to go through the first track (Soprano) giving me no control of the volumes or panning of the other voices.

I mean it works, but I really have missed something with the output routing between Kontakt and Dorico.

Any help would be of great assistance.

Thanks.

Is anything in here helpful?

Have you configured Kontakt for multi-outputs? That aspect has to be handled first in the Kontakt Player before Dorico can treat the mixer inputs/outputs as separate.

Yes, as Derrek suggests: if you have more than one instrument in an instance of Kontakt, you have to specify that each one goes out on a separate output.

Otherwise, yes, you’ll get all the instruments output on one stereo channel.

I’ve found that it works if, in Kontakt’s Outputs pane, you choose “Batch functions” and then “Clear output section and create one individual channel for each loaded instrument”.

A big thanks to the following: DanielMuzMurray, Derrek and benwiggly.

All I could draw from your comments is that it was possible.

I stumbled across a YouTube video that showed me what to do.

I’d like to share the steps with you.

1. In the Play tab, click on ‘VST and MIDI’

2. Click on the ‘+’ icon.

VST 03 is displayed.

1. Click on the down arrow and select Kontakt 7.

2. Click on the ‘e’ symbol. This will bring up the Kontakt UI.

3. Click on the square icon. (2nd last icon)

4. In Kontakt create four instances. In my case Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Bass.

5. Click on Outputs.

The following window will be displayed.

1. Click on the ‘+’ button.

2. The following pop-up is displayed. This is where you create the outputs from Kontakt.

3. Do the following:
    a) In the ‘Quantity’ field enter the value 4, as that is the number of sound instances loaded into
    Kontakt.
    b) In the number of channels field enter ‘2’ as you want stereo sounds. 1 will give you Mono.
    c) In the ‘Host Output’ select the first entry: ‘Kt st.1. [1]’
    d) Select ‘Delete existing channels before creating new ones’
    e) Click ‘OK’ and your work is done.

The Dorico mixer will work as expected.

Hope I haven’t bored you, but a complete example is a good example.

2 Likes

I have followed these steps and I am still not getting separate inputs for each instrument on the Dorico mixer. I can hear all tracks, but levels only show up on instrument 1.

Confirming that OzMazAU’s thorough explanation does work but it is not explained here how to reset Dorico to see the new Kontakt routing. Just closing and opening the Dorico file is not enough – what worked for me was to switch the VST instrument to HALion Sonic and back to Kontakt. Save your instrument bank in Kontakt before you do this so that you can quickly retrieve it because this opens up a new blank Kontakt window.

(( FWIW, I always had to do this:

))

1 Like