Getting Rid of Alto/Tenor Sax Vibrato in Dorico Pro 5

Is there a way to shut off, or at least rein in, the vibrato on the alto and tenor saxes in Dorico Pro 5? I’m trying to arrange a Bruckner symphony movement, and instead of an orchestral sound, HALion Sonic SE is giving me something more akin to the sound of Guy Lombardo and his Royal Canadians playing “Auld Lang Syne” on New Year’s Eve. I’m still relatively new to Dorico Pro, so I don’t know where to look, and a forum search only turned up a solution for flute vibrato. Please help, and thanks!

2 Likes

Which exact sample instruments are you using?

Ultimately, it will depend whether the sample has a vibrato control. For example, “Bright Tenor Sax NoteExp” uses the Mod Wheel to adjust the vibrato speed, though even at zero, there is still some vib.

If you can’t find one in HALion, then you’ll need to find another sample library that has the sounds that you want.

BTW, are you using HALion Sonic 7?

You can swap out the default saxes with non-vibrato versions, for example, “Alto Straight Dynamic Full” and “Tenor Straight Dynamic Full.”

1. Enter Play mode.
  2. Where you see the list of your players, select the Alto Sax.
  3. On the left side of the screen, select Track Inspector.
  4. Under Halion, click on the stylized e for edit.
  5. The HALion window opens. On the left side Slot Rack, find the slot that says Bright Alto Sax NoteExp. Select that slot.
  6. Now, you are going to replace that instrument. At the top of the screen, on the left, click Bright Alto Sax NoteExp and that will bring up the Load Program dialog. Type “sax” in the search area and that will bring up a list of programs. Double-click Alto Straight Dynamic Full and that will load the program.
  7. Presto–no vibrato!

You can do the same with your Tenor Sax.

Also, if you would like to avoid all of this and have a quick, works-out-of-the-box, quite good, and cost-conscious solution, please take a look at NotePerformer.

Also, please no disparaging of Guy Lombardo, who is from my home town of London, Ontario! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the steps. I’d love to follow them, but I have no Alto Straight Dynamic Full in my search results. Neither do I have the Tenor Sax counterpart. I’ve got a few other choices, though. Any suggestions on which ones might work? The GM one looks like it might be worthwhile, but I’d like to debug this missing patch situation before I try it.

Sorry about the Guy Lombardo swipe, but hey - I calls 'em as I hears 'em. :smile:

1 Like

Make sure that you’ve downloaded all the Dorico sounds content in Steinberg Download Assistant (along with the latest version of HALion.)

1 Like

Yes to what @benwiggy said. Alto Straight Dynamic Full is part of the HALion Sonic Factory set. If all the sound content is downloaded, you should see something like the pic below when you search ‘sax’. I selected “HS Factory” rather than “All” to narrow the search.

I’ve looked everywhere, but I don’t have an HS Factory set of sounds. I tried reinstalling my sounds from within the download manager and double-checked the Updates folder, but nothing fixed the issue. How did I wind up like this?

Here’s a screenshot of my download manager to show what I’ve got:

I don’t have it either. I don’t think it is part of the standard Sound Content.

3 Likes

Yes: HS Factory is not bundled with Dorico.

Even so: I have 32 Saxes. One of them must have no vibrato!

2 Likes

Well then I’m quite sorry for sending you on a wild goose chase! I had incorrectly assumed that since it was named “HS Factory,” it came default with HALion Sonic, but it looks like that is not the case. I must have it left over from an earlier install of Dorico, HALion, Cubase, … who knows?

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

1 Like

That’s okay, Chester - you’ve turned me on to NotePerformer, and I like what I see and hear. I think I’m going to go ahead and go that route instead of trying to bash HALion Sonic repeatedly over the head until I go mad or it makes decent music (the former is more likely). Thanks!

3 Likes