Getting rid of spurious fermatas

The beauty of the “One per voice” example picture is that every voice has its fermata at a different point in the bar.
We’d need a “One per voice, aslongastheydontsitperfectlyaboveeachother” option :smiley:

3 Likes

Put a hold on that idea

One solution for Andro’s specific situation appears to be to select “One per staff” and then add any others needed in that measure as a user expression with no playback implications.

Until Dorico adds playback to fermatas, that seems reasonable.

This is me with all the potentially customized key commands. Every once-in-a-while someone mentions one of their custom key commands and I think, “huh. I didn’t even realize that was an option. cool.”

2 Likes

This would actually be terribly useful.

I’d also like it if Dorico was a bit smarter about placement, particularly for keyboard and choral reduction staves. In many hymnals, for instance, you want fermatas outside the staff, ie- above soprano and below the bass notes, but not internal to the stave (save those occasions where rhythms do not align, of course).

1 Like

Yes, precisely this. Dorico’s default fermata placement wrt any of the configurations of the options makes it difficult or impossible to get two and only two automatic fermatas on the outside of a grand staff. Or at least I haven’t found a way to do this. The Playing Technique workaround is the way to go for the time being.

While we’re at it, can we have an option to assign a pair of fermatas above and below the final barline of a grand staff? This is appearing more and more in the music I need to engrave, and it would be a piece of cake if the software would just “do it”.

If you set the Engraving Option to “one per staff”, you can then flip just the bottom staff’s fermata in Engrave mode. You could then in theory copy/paste that fermata each time you need it in the project, rather than re-input a fresh one, and it’ll retain its Placement property. I appreciate that’s not fully automatic, though.

There’s an option for positioning fermatas on barlines, but it only shows one above the barline rather than also below (I suspect you already know about this option but just in case).

2 Likes

Yep, that’s the behavior I’m waiting for all around :slight_smile: Thanks though for both suggestions. You guys are awesome.

1 Like