GHOST COPIES

How the do you do a ghost copy of a MIDI part in 10.5

For , why does everything have to be 1 step forward and 2 steps back with this product.

This used to be such a simple operation

1 Like

click and hold the part -press shift+alt and drag. A Ghost part is created

1 Like

Thank you very much for your reply.

I notice that you have to (as you say) click and hold first THEN press shift+alt. Seems ridiculous that they must be done precisely in this order. Why not be able to hold shift+alt first then click and drag? I don’t expect an answer, but I really wonder whether anyone has actually thought about the practical use of these features. It seems to be counter-intuitive.

I agree. Took me some time to change my behaviour. I use ghost parts all the time. also with audio parts

I’ve been neglecting this issue for a while, but it’s becoming an indispensable need for what I want to do. Unfortunately this current method is just not workable for someone that has a history of RSI… ( strain injury )… it’s not really a key command if you have to hold and drag and the hand positioning is like torture when using a mouse pad. But the mystery for me, what is this command actually called in Cubase parlance now? I also knew it as Ghost parts in the past. I’ve searched for 30 mins and cannot find this command to redefine in the key command assignments… does anyone know how?

In case anyone is curious, it’s such a valuable command not just for arranging and making later edits, but also e.g. editing controllers or midi note triggers which will then effect subsequent parts over a range of music parts… so e.g. you have a midi gate trigger that does a pattern which then covers a range of chords… with a ghost part you can just edit the pattern in one place and simultaneously hear the effects.

1 Like

You’re right, it is not.

Shared Copies

Preferences > Tool Modifiers > Drag & Drop

1 Like

I’d forgotten how the old ghost parts worked - obviously because the key commands had changed and I’d never gotten around to looking up the new way of working.

This thread made me look into it again - so thanks guys!

What I really don’t understand is why there is no indication any more as to what are ‘shared copies’?

With the old ghost parts it was obvious - text was in italics. Doing a google search I came up with the answer that there is supposed to being an ‘=’ in the top of the part, but I have nothing - either in midi parts or audio parts.

Is this another bug?

For some odd reason you have to have the setting “Show Event Names” turned on.
In Cubase 12 you’ll find this setting under Preferences > Event Display.

In Cubase 13 (and 12) shared copies have an ‘=’ sign overlaid on the part. If you’re not seeing it, you’ve done something wrong. This is the deafult setting for me - haven’t changed anything in preferences.

Adjusting preferences can not be considered “doing something wrong”.
That said, I do believe “Show Event Names” is turned on by default.

Ctrl K and click shared copy, if I remember correctly.

1 Like

yep this works, it will do, that’s my prefered solution, thank you!