face to face with her own reflection
always watching over her

see them laughing, they’re laughing at her
jagged and ragged, but free
see them crying, they’re crying for her
look beyond what you see
_

Hi Ian

To me there is nothing in the foreground of the mix, everything seems set back except for some of the drum fills and cymbal hits. I listened yesterday on my main set up and headphones and listened again today on another system and different headphones. The vocal in particular is a bit indistinct which is unusual for you. I feel it’s a combination of eq and ambience. A lack of presence rather than balance.

I think the song is good but it was hard to appreciate it properly.

Cheers
Dave

Dunno if you’ve remixed this since Ian but it sounds OK here, some of the cymbal hits are a bit odd in terms of where they appear but no biggie on that. That lead guitar could come down a touch, kind of stuck out too much. You gonna go down to Eddie’s to do these latest tracks? I know it’s expensive but you’ll certainly have a pro album when they’re all done :sunglasses:

Cheers
Phil

???

Just listened again myself and this does sound a very different mix to what I listened to previously. :confused:

This mix sounds much better. Perhaps I’m going mad finally. :laughing:

Cheers

I must be hearing an updated version, sounds well balanced to me, except for the piano bridge that sounds like it’s from two apartments away. Another good one, and another really good ending.
Early

Don’t panic…you’re not completely mad… just yet. :stuck_out_tongue:
I did do a mix update which I guess must have gone up after you posted your initial feedback. All I really changed though was some levels - cymbals, toms, vocals and EP from memory … ?

What may have some bearing on things is this is actually my first mix in my new studio - while I have now pretty much got used to this new room it certainly sounded different to the old room - different as in better! But maybe I still need to get to ‘know’ it a little more intimately yet! Thanks for you thoughts :sunglasses:

Well, if I do decide to do the pro thing another batch of songs this year this could well be one of them, it would certainly be on my short list anyway. It certainly would be nice to have an ‘albums worth’ of pro stuff. :sunglasses:

Will check that.

Cheers! :sunglasses:

except for the piano bridge that sounds like it’s from two apartments away.

Will check that also!

Thanks guys. :slight_smile:

Yes, another good song, Ian.
I think the acoustic in the intro is too loud and the EP in the middle section could come up a bit.

Nice guitar work. :sunglasses:

Cheers,
Wim

Cheers Wim :slight_smile:

Meanwhile I’ve made a few more adjustments… MIX2 :sunglasses:

A powerful song.

A couple of suggestions/observations.

I think the riddum guitars (acoustic + electric) are too loud.
Maybe the electric guitar doesn’t sit perfectly with the EP over the first two or so bars? :confused:
Lastly, the vocal is often ahead of the beat and could do with closer wedding to
the music.

On another note, I wonder what it would sound like if you dropped the
“laaaafing” and went for the (yours and mine) more natural “larfing”?
Does it matter that much?

A great tune Ian.

Really? Hmmm… well I’ll look at them again, but each time I listen I find myself thinking they’re about right… :confused:

Maybe the electric guitar doesn’t sit perfectly with the EP over the first two or so bars? > :confused: >

Noted. Will check. :slight_smile:

Lastly, the vocal is often ahead of the beat and could do with closer wedding to
the music.

Makes a nice change… I’m usually behind ! :laughing:

On another note, I wonder what it would sound like if you dropped the
“laaaafing” and went for the (yours and mine) more natural “larfing”?
Does it matter that much?

No. :stuck_out_tongue:

A great tune Ian.

Thanks Jet! :smiley:

Giving my new Steve Slate Drums (4) a test drive…
(Rock Kit 01)

:sunglasses: