Glissandi playback

EDIT: Four questions regarding glissandi and legato playback:
First- a broad one: Will will Dorico give the option to choose between different gliss playback styles on every instrument both in the macro and the micro? For eg. being able to choose (per case) between: fingered gliss vs smooth pitch bend gliss vs subtle portamento (strings) vs overblow+fingered gliss (brass)

Also, regarding pitch-bend gliss./port.- will Dorico be able to adapt to different modwheel setups of VI’s? For eg. will it be able to play a trombone gliss. spanning a aug. 4th when the virtual trombone has only a range of minor third on each end (for eg. samplemodeling trombone), or are cases like this are best done manually via the midi editor?

Third, and I know this is a minute detail- will Dorico be able to play this little thing? :slight_smile:

And lastly, is there an algorithm within Dorico that will be able to take into account the length of a legato/glissando transition and adjust timings respectively? I think this is a must, when I work with Finale I have to manually nudge note timings (with a timing articulation).
Come to think of it, this feature also has to do with notes that have a slower attack, Dorico should know to adjust those notes so that the peak/middle of the attack will fall right on the beat, instead of starting from the beat and arriving too late.

My VST for Trombones (East West Platinum Orchestra) via its interface - Play- allows me to specify the range of glissando notes for any instrument. Using Sibelius the result is a bit weird because the Sibelius gliss line doesn’t allow for much control over how it sounds - particularly at the start of the gliss where I often get an embarrassing hiccough. But I do get a gliss.
I get a better result with strings as long as I have specified in Play a sufficiently large pitch bend for the instrument. In the snip below the R.H. end - intensity - controls this facility. You can see that I’ve set it 100% which gives me over an octave.

P.S. I still can’t figure out how to get a jpg to show within the text. All I seem to be able to get is the link with the text “Not downloaded yet”

The VSL has recorded glissandi - but you will have to use the stretch-feature to make them fit perfectly.
Also the target note actually triggers the glissando so it demands some tweaking.

In general you will have to check both Dorico and your library to get a proper result.

I like the variety of responses and approaches, it shows just how serious this issue is.
Samplemodeling trombone has only a range of a minor third up and down because any more would consume even more serious CPU resources.
I also added an issue of timings of legato/gliss. transitions (and note attacks):

Is there an algorithm within Dorico that will be able to take into account the length of a legato/glissando transition and adjust timings respectively? I think this is a must, when I work with Finale I have to manually nudge note timings (with a timing articulation).
Come to think of it, this feature also has to do with notes that have a slower attack, Dorico should know to adjust those notes so that the peak/middle of the attack will fall right on the beat, instead of starting from the beat and arriving too late.

Dorico will probably not have any kind of specific glissando playback in its first version, I’m afraid: since we have only very recently been able to get the VST audio engine from Cubase connected to Dorico, we have a lot of other more basic things that we have to attend to first. But as the application matures I hope we will be able to give some attention to these kinds of issues.