Glissando line styles and text

As it was mentioned previously, there are cases, where the available options for modifying the default properties of glissando lines and text do not suffice.
For particular reasons, I need to make glissando line dashed (i.e. not solid) and put a custom text on it.
Has anybody come up with (or can think of) making that kind of modifications?

TIA,
IB

There really isn’t a decent workaround for any of those, as of now.

Thank you. Definitive ‘No’ is better than uncertainty :slight_smile:

I use hairpins with 0 aperture and dashed property to make dashed lines that stick to the rhythmic positions. I’m not able to input a text other that horizontally though. This could still help you, couldn’t it?

Thank you Marc! Excellent solution!
It’s incomparably better than my attempts to use a slur by straightening it up with control handles and applying dashed style.
As to the text rotation, let’s hope one day it will be there.
Igor Borodin

I need better glissando notation for harp music. There is this technique called a “double (or 2-hand) glissando”. In the (technically difficult) case when two or more notes are glissed in the same direction while maintaining the interval, it’s easy to create multiple lines between the multiple notes. However, the technique can also refer to a much simpler technique whereby the two hands alternate in the same direction creating a “swooping” effect. I believe that’s also called a double-glissando but even harpists I’ve asked aren’t very helpful (if anyone knows a more specific term, please let me know!). The ability to change text on a glissando would solve this problem and many others. :slight_smile:

There may be a notation with three staggered parallel lines over the gliss that indicates the latter type of double glissando. I accomplished that by creating three lines in a graphics program, iterating to find the correct angle, and then putting the lines in an image frame. This is not a good solution because any change whatsoever (like adding pages, or moving a song in a book, or the measure changing length) requires special treatment.

Love Dorico, regardless!

Cheers!

Ed

Can you post an image of exactly what you are trying to achieve? I’ve found it’s pretty easy to do parallel gliss lines in Dorico just by having them attached to a note, and then hiding the note. Something like this is actually pretty simple:

If you need them staggered, it’s easy enough to adjust the endpoints in Engrave. Is that sort of what you need to do?

Thanks for the suggestion! This might work nicely. It’s similar to pedal changes for a harp gliss: write the changed notes, calculate harp pedal, then delete the notes. I was pleasantly surprised that the pedal changes stayed in in place.

Cheers!

Ed

On this note, I was looking to change gliss. to rip. Would be nice to have the option to customize the text.

1 Like