Glissando playback

I have configured an upward glissando in the expression map to activate C#1 and E2 which corresponds to an upward glissando I’ve configured in my Vienna Pro Saxophones. However the playback isn’t seeing the expression and instead is playing a normal sound and splitting the glissando interval over several shorter, discrete notes. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong, I just cannot work out what it is.

Any help from the Dorico hive mind will be gratefully accepted.

Peter

Sample for Testing Expression Maps.dorico.zip (474.7 KB)

Hi Peter,

You’re not doing anything wrong. Dorico cannot produce glissandi. I don’t think it’s a priority to the programming team, considering Dorico is at version 4.

Mike

Kindly do a search of the forum before posting. Knowing that Dorico does not yet offer proper glissando playback, I searched gliss play #dorico and found a good tip here from Oct. 2020, and other threads specifically about this from Sept. 2019, last March, April, May, June, etc.

Thank you Mark,

I always do. I did a search of the forum but found nothing that equated to the problem I was experiencing, hence why I raised it here.

Thank you for the links, I’ll follow them up.

Thanks Mike,

That explains why it’s not working - I thought it was something I was doing.

cheers

Peter

If you are trying to trigger a glissando sample then this is possible. Create a new playing technique and add it to your Expression Map. Assign the appropriate key switches to that entry for your gliss. sample. Add the Playing Technique to the score and you should get the glissando sample to play back. Select only the note range that you want that Playing Technique to apply to (you should dotted orange lines with little circles on the end representing the range of the PT), and the following notes should then revert back to following your note length conditions rather than continuing to trigger your glissando sample. If you only want to apply the Playing Technique to a single note, you have to select two notes at least to create the range (the little orange circles) then you can shorten it in the same way that you shorten notes - control alt L & R arrow or drag with the mouse. If the Playing Technique is not something you want to see in the score, you can hide it.

A bit an older topic but very helpful however it needs an addition. If you do add a glissando line apart from the hidden user playing technique, you do have to suppress playback of the glissando line otherwise it takes precedence over your user defined articulation and you hear chromatic notes instead of the sampled glissando.

The playback remains tricky however as the glissando (in VSL Syzd Sax and also Syzd Dim Brass) is only activated on the second target note. So the starting note sounds for its duration. and only when reaching the second note the glissando will start on the starting pitch and glide up to the target pitch. That is in general not what is meant with a glissando line between two notes. What we would like in reality is that the pitch continuously changes till it reaches its target value for the full duration start and target note.

For the trombones there is also a limit of I think a perfect 5th as playable interval which has to be considered.

Actually, I think the trombone glissando limit is an augmented fourth (a tritone).

Mike

I found this reference. The starting note and the type of instrument seem to play a role. In the range I tried VSL Dim. Brass gives you a max between start and end of seven ½ steps.

island trombone