glissando with crescendo

is there a way to let a glissando line play a crescendo from the start- to the end-note?

No, at the moment there’s no way to do this unless you’re willing to write out all of the notes!

ok…thanx Daniel

Are there any updates on this feature I may have missed ? It seems in 3.5.12 it is still impossible to apply a crescendo to a glissando ?

sorry, I don’t understand what the problem is supposed to be. In this example chosen at random, the crescendo plays back as expected with the selected gliss.

There must be something trivial I’m missing here.

I see only 2 notes in the Play tab : the start and end note of the glissando. I have a p<f crescendo (that should play back through velocity). All notes of the glissando are played at p except the last one sudenly f.

correct --there are only two notes in the play tab. When I write p < f like you instead of just the hairpin in the score it works just the same. Incidentally I manually stretched the hairpin first time round in the Play window so I could clearly hear the dynamic difference. To make sure the cresc is even I tested making the gliss. longer as well. Absolutely behaves as expected.

Tried with Halion SE piano in case problem came from Spitfire Library, same issue.

Write 2 notes, select them, add gliss, add p<f crescendo. All notes play at the same p velocity, except the last one suddenly at f.

NB : The problem also occurs in crescendos of one of Dorico’s demo (Akinola), just tested it m.39 - harp, by modifying it to ppp<fff.

ok --can replicate with Halion piano. I was using BBC SO. Seems library specific though rather surprised it doesn’t work with your Spitfire library. Needs further testing. I’ll check a little later with NotePerformer and VSL for instance.

there is no problem with any library I can find, providing you are using an appropriate Expression Map for the library (including keyswitches etc). Using a solo violin as example

1. NP OK
  2. VSL OK
  3. VSL with default EM not OK
  4. Halion OK
  5. Halion with default EM not OK.

Default EM tends to be mainly used for piano. Can confirm that other pianos don’t work either.

I made other experiments. It seems the crescendo on a gliss doesn’t work on instruments for which dynamics is based on velocity (usually Piano, Glock, Vibe, Celesta, Harp, etc…) but work when dynamics are based on CC1 (usually Violin, etc…).

It seems logical, since there are only 2 notes, it can’t adjust velocity to all non-existing intermediate notes. Whereas CC1 can be adjusted on a single continuous note.

I hope this is taken into account in future Dorico versions !

was just about to add the logical conclusion that you’ve come to when you beat me to it! But then that’s hardly surprising as velocity by definition can’t change dynamic during the course of the note so I’d never expected it to work. I’d assumed that the reported fault was based on using CC dynamics in the first place but on reflection, it’s as least as likely that the OP wants Dorico to internally spell out all the notes so it can gradually increment the dynamic of each one even if its not written out in the score. That must be what Daniel was referring to in his post and I’m sure this sort of thing will be addressed when gliss and port become fully supported (next version with luck!).

Well, since it must somehow spell these notes so that correct playback happens, I thought plausible that it would also allow intermediate velocity changes.

Let’s hope this will be addressed soon indeed :wink: