Glyph sizes

Is there anywhere in Dorico where one can see the size of the glyphs used in Dorico’s tempo equations? I’m creating a metric modulation formula as a Playing Technique, and would like match its glyph sizes with those already used within Dorico.

Thanks!

Engrave > Font Styles > Metronome Music Font, if I remember correctly.

Assuming this is basically a continuation of your other thread from a few hours back:
I doubt that Metrico’s sizing matches Bravura’s sizing, though, so you’ll probably need to experiment a little.

2 Likes

Thanks, Leo!

I see a "Metronome Music Text font listing there, which uses “Bravura Text”. Not sure if that refers to note glyphs or the associated text, tho’.

I doubt that Metrico’s sizing matches Bravura’s sizing

I’m using Dan Kreider’s MusGlyphs, which (if I’m not mistaken) were created from Bravura, so I’m hoping the sizes will match.

However, while I see how to scale Playing Technique glyph sizes to percentages, I’m at a loss as to how to translate that to the Metronome Music Text Font’s “15 pt” . . .

Thanks again!

I’m pretty sure Metronome Music Text Font refers to the note value glyphs - if it’s Bravura Text then that would be the correct font style.

As I said, I think you’ll need to experiment. Input a real metronome mark or tempo equation, then build a Playing Technique, put it on the page and drag it alongside the legitimate tempo mark. Then experiment by eye (zoomed in as far as possible) with regard to how the playing technique glyphs need to be scaled in order to match the real tempo mark. And in answer to your earlier question, in the Playing Technique editor you’ll find X and Y scale fields at the bottom of the dialog. They currently only work when set to identical values, e.g. if you want 85% you’ll need to set both the X and Y to 0.85 (and possibly Tab away) before anything will change.

1 Like

Thanks again, Leo!

Yes, I did precisely those experiments earlier on, today, and got things fairly close – I was just wondering if there was a more precise way.

Strangely, changing the Y scale field alone reduced/enlarged the glyph while maintaining the original proportions. The X scale field simply moved items closer/further apart from each other. Very easy to use. . .

What I did find perplexing, however, were spatial differences between layouts, when I had created the metric modulation indicators as basic system text: even with set local properties globally, fine positioning done in the score was not automatically duplicated in other layouts.

System Text offsets can’t be propagated between layouts because they don’t necessarily start off in the same positions above each stave. Imagine if one instrument has a note three ledger lines above the stave and another instrument has a note three ledger lines below the stave - the default position of the System Text is going to differ between those part layouts.

That said, I’ve often wished that System Text offsets would propagate.

1 Like

Good point – thanks!