Going from Pro Tools to N12

Is there a document anywhere comparing Pro Tools terminology to Nuendo. E.g what is a PT ‘Auxiliary Track’ called in Nuendo? A ‘path’?Etc, etc.

Not that I know of. Use this forum, you’ll get replies… is this for you?..

1 Like

Thank you Mattias - yes it is for me - today was my first time turning on N12 and didn’t get very far. I know there are vids but they talk to fast…s

If you were a regular key command user in Pro Tools, you could maybe start by activating the Pro Tools key commands preset in the Nuendo Key Commands window (Edit menu). I don’t know of a complete terminology translator between the two but take a look at the following topic: Pro Tools Language Translator There’s a good video reference in there.

1 Like

Well, you’re more than welcome to ask here I’m sure. I’ll start since you mentioned a few items…

(PT) “Bus” - Nuendo has input and output buses. In PT your buses are essentially “invisible” and you create and label them in i/o setup and then you can choose a bus as a destination and as a source, with summing taking place “on” those invisible buses… Not really in Nuendo… I treat them as purely input sources (interface) and output destinations (interface or virtual / dummy).

(PT) “Aux” - Nuendo doesn’t have them.

(Nuendo) “Group channels” are basically as if you took a PT bus and slapped it onto the beginning of a PT Aux and had that as its input. So the closest you get to an Aux in Nuendo is a group, which includes the bus at the top. The drawback here is that the group doesn’t have an input, it has the bus. So you output/send to groups but you don’t choose the inputs on the groups. A way around that conceptually is to just think of it as (PT) Bus+Aux that is visible and has inserts etc.

(Nuendo) FX channels are very similar to groups. I’d say treat them as FX returns by placing FX on their inserts, sending to them, and then choosing appropriate outputs.

→ FYI, on the topic of routing… a) the mixers in Nuendo are all the same basic mixer, just different views of it. So you can set them up differently to quickly see what you need in them. b) “Control Room” is great and sits ‘next to’ the mixer and the interface and basically takes copies of signals from points you designate as “sources”. So by switching sources in Control Room you’re able to listen to different things without breaking the actual signal flow in the mixer… which is excellent.

(PT) “I/O Setup” = (Nuendo) “Audio Connections”
(PT) “Hardware Setup” = (Nuendo) “Studio Setup”

4 Likes

TY Mattias - a very basic question - can any plug-in be used on a ‘recording track?’

As Nuendo does not have an Aux fader like PT can i just use a recording track as an Aux fader, just not record on it.?

You know the saying, ‘you can’t teach an old mixer, new tricks’ :slight_smile: …s

But can you teach him new tracks?..

There is no such thing as “recording tracks” in Nuendo, you have regular audio tracks that you record on. But just like Pro Tools an audio track won’t pass signal unless you set it to ‘input monitoring’, and I don’t think that’s a good way to work. External signals show up on “input buses”, but you seem to be asking for the equivalent of an AUX, yes?

It might be easier to explain what you do in PT and what the goal is, and then we can tell you how to accomplish that goal in Nuendo.

For example, if your goal is to record an external sound with effects then you would create the input bus in “Audio Connections” and connect the input there. On that created bus you can insert a plugin. You then create an audio track and choose that input bus as its source, and when you then record on that audio track you get the effect embedded in the audio (destructively).

If you just want an aux to put a plugin on then use an FX track, and if you want an aux to sum signals like you would when you create one path for Dialog for example then use a group.

Does that make sense?

Put a plugin on the input fader in Nuendo and the plugin will get printed. Is that what you’re looking for?

1 Like

No. The first set are just for playback of what i create in PT…s

Perhaps these videos will help you get started: From Pro Tools to Cubase/Nuendo and back - YouTube

2 Likes

TY Best I have see to date.

Question: If I don’t want the rack that is automatically generated with a track: how do I delete it? …s

If by “rack” you mean the various processors on every track then you can’t delete them - they’re always there. But you can safely just ignore them if you don’t want to use them and they use virtually zero CPU resources when inactive.

In various views in Nuendo you can choose what to see so you don’t even have to see them.

1 Like

Racks are always there when you create an audiotrack (or group or masterbus). You don’t have to use any of it and all processing (except for the EQ/filter section) is disabled by default. I think this is the beauty of Nuendo over ProTools: You already have multiple processing capabilities ready to go if you want. No need to add any insert plugins such as EQ’s of compressors by default.

1 Like

How do you not see them?

In the mixer you can select what you wan’t to see, and what you want to hide. It is somewhere at the top right of the mixer view toolbar. (MixConsole Toolbar)

1 Like