Good News: Simultaneous Power and Data to iPad

There is some good news for anyone who wants to power their iPad while transferring data to it from a keyboard or an audio / midi interface for use in Cubasis. Until recently the main options have been:

1. Use a device with an MFi interface. These are fairly rare, but devices with MFi include iConnectaudio4+ and Apogee Duet
  2. Use Bluetooth for midi input to the iPad and the lightning port for power

Last week Apple released a new lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter - Apple (UK)

This Adapter has a male lightning port at one end to connect to the iPad. At the other end it has both a USB port and a female lightning port. Using appropriate cables, the USB port can be connected to a keyboard or audio interface, and the lightning port to a USB power supply (mains powered or portable battery pack). In Apples own words “Add even greater capability and versatility to your iPad Pro by powering the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter with a USB Power Adapter. Then you can connect USB peripherals like hubs, Ethernet adapters, audio/MIDI interfaces, and card readers for CompactFlash, SD, microSD and more.” Note that the device works with:
• iPad with Retina display
• iPad mini
• iPad mini 2
• iPad Air
• iPad Air 2
• iPad mini 3
• iPad mini 4
• iPad Pro (9.7-inch)
• iPad Pro (12.9-inch)

Hi
Very thanks for information
Pejman

But the apple website say that this divice is only for ipad pro 12.9 inch,because ipad pro 12.9 is usb3 support

The device works with iPads in general, but only the 12.9 inch iPad Pro can use it to transfer data at USB3 rates, as opposed to USB2 rates. I have successfully used the adapter with two models: 12.9 inch iPad Pro; 4th generation iPad.

Finally, bought this also at once when I heard about it. Joke was that Apple didn’t mention anywhere (maybe changed meanwhile) that the second slot is lightning.

Interesting!

I’m slightly confused. I have a Lightning interface - could I charge using the USB port and use the Lightning pass-thru for the interface?

Your initial text suggests that the USB would be the data and Lightning would be charge.

Thanks for any insight :slight_smile:

The connection diagram on the box for the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter shows a mains power unit connected to the lightning input slot on the adapter, and data (from a camera) connected to the USB input slot on the adapter.

I don’t know if supplying power to the USB slot and data to the Lightning slot would work. I can’t test this arrangement because I don’t have the necessary cables and / or adapters.

Exactly this and more. I connected a 4 x USB-hub and into this a miditech 4xMIDI and my Zoom H6 as audio interface while I charged the iPad Air 2 via the lightning connection. Works for me. I didn’t expect this :mrgreen:

This opens up an enormous range of high quality USB interfaces for iPads on extended DAW duty! I’ve been using the iConnect Audio+4 and have forgotten what it was like to constantly mind power usage. The iConnect also has 2 iOS ports, which I’m finding rather indispensible for separate MIDI control. Anyway, this Apple charging adaptor is HUGE in terms of additional hardware options for iPad and Cubasis.