Grace Note Slurs to Notehead Instead of Stem?

Hi Folks!

My grace note slurs are going to the stem right now. Is there a setting that sends them to the note head of the target note? I can’t find it!
Thanks in advance for any help!!

Maybe useful info: I’m using the Notation Central Jazz (New Real Book) template.

Edit: oddly, if I check “avoid collisions” on the slur in engrave mode, it fixes the problem, but I’m not sure if that’s really fixing the cause. In other words, I get the right result, but maybe for the wrong reason?

Slice 1

That’s what I get in an Piano-only default project?

(But admittedly, I have searched for and could not find any option regarding the target of a slure from a grace note to a regular note…)

Yep…so I assume it’s a setting in my template, but I can’t find the setting to switch or adjust. That’s what I’m asking for help with.

Off the top of my head I’m not sure what setting might do this, but if you want to attach your project here, I’d be happy to take a look. Otherwise, you could try opening the Library Manager and comparing your project’s settings to the default library settings.

Here’s the project file if you’d like to take a look @dspreadbury. I used the “avoid collision” thing I discovered, but maybe there’s another thing causing it in the first place?
Two T’s - Bob Mintzer.dorico (861.7 KB)

Hmm, I don’t have all your fonts installed, but this is how your file opened for me:
slurs

The file you posted is still displaying slurs going to the stem on your system? If so, I’m not sure what exactly is going on.

It’ll open like what you’re seeing because I have the “avoid collisions” turned on for those specific slurs. Try turning them off in engrave mode to see what I had before—I think. I’m actually not sure what you’ll get on your end. Definitely the way it works for me though. Turning off “avoid collisions” in my software and they go back to my first picture.

I agree with @dspreadbury that its probably a setting in Library, but I can’t find it.

Sorry, I’m stumped too. It seems like Dorico is moving it to avoid a collision, but there’s no collision to avoid. I can’t seem to reproduce this with my own settings, so there’s definitely something going on with the fonts or that template, but I can’t figure it out.

Thanks for looking. Huh…wonder if I did something without noticing?

It seems the thickness of the stems (Engraving options) is guilty.
Setting them to ‘normal’ (3/25 space) thickness (or less) will bring the slurs to the noteheads.

2 Likes

Impressive sleuthing! Cheers! :beer:

Holy cow! Nice find!!