Grace note/tremolo playback unpitched percussion

I cannot get grace notes or single tremolos (strokes, in this case) to playback correctly on unpitched percussion (snare, in this case), despite following what I’ve gleaned from the forums about payback templates, changing playing techniques, etc. (See png) I’m either missing something obvious, or perhaps it is still not possible (using 3.1). I apologize if this is a duplicate topic post. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Welcome to the forum, Haydar. Dorico won’t play tremolos on grace notes at the moment, I’m afraid, and this is the first time I can recall it being requested, though I can see it’s a useful notational shorthand for the various percussion rudiments. I’ve made a note of this for future consideration.

Thanks, Daniel. To be clearer, I can’t get a double note tremolo to sound either on a “regular” note or on a single grace note. It doesn’t need to be a grace note, it just has to play ahead of the beat, like a roll into the note, but it’s only two strokes. Even faking it with two 32nd notes doesn’t work. So, I guess I am asking how to do this, given that I’ve tried the paying techniques re-assignment (Natural note to double-tremolo note as roll), and the playback template and expression map seem to be what was recommended here, plus the playback options dialog. That’s why I think I’m missing something basic.

Could it have something to do with the meter I’m in?

No, I’m afraid you’d have to just write out the grace notes in full, rather than writing a single note with tremolo beams. If you write, say, four grace notes, then they will play ahead of the beat.

Thanks, Daniel. Glad I’m not crazy about single note tremolos not being able to play!

I took your suggestion, with 3 grace notes, but something weird happened: the playback varied between playing the 3 grace notes as a 3nd triplet and alternating it witih the expected “roll” of 3 grace notes. I don’t understand what’s going on. I’ve attached the layout, and, as it looks like only images are supported, here’s a link to the playback of the first section:

What do you think is going on? My goal here is for a roll of just 2 grace notes. (Currently, when I write those out as you suggested, I just get two 32nd notes, no grace roll at all.)

Thanks.

If you zip up your project, you can attach it to a reply here. Please do so and I’ll take a closer look.

Hi again,

I just notated something in 7/16 (4+3) as opposed to the 9/16 (2+2+2+3) above.The grace notes here work as expected, as you can hear on the attached file.

So, is it the meter? Or the grouping? Or something else? (the problem in 9/16 occurs whether I enter by midi or enter by hand)

Saw your message after I posted. I’ve attached the project. Thanks for this remarkable support.
Aj iznikna mi badem drvo.dorico.zip (666 KB)

I’m really sorry it’s taken me so long to get to the bottom of this, but I have now done so. The reason the first pair of grace notes play back as if they were in a triplet compared to the second pair of grace notes is that Dorico isn’t correctly taking into account the fact that 9/16 (and similar meters) are compound meters if there is no note bounding the start position of the grace notes for playback. Unfortunately I don’t think there’s anything practical you can do about this at the moment: we need to imbue the playback code that processes grace notes with greater knowledge about the meter of the music, which it doesn’t currently have. I’ve made a note of this for the future, and hopefully we’ll be able to address it in a future version of the software.

Thanks a lot Daniel. A lot of my transcription life is in compound meters, but this is a feature I can wait for, as I can always record myself playing the drum patterns. Great thanks to you and your team for a wonderful product.

Thanks a lot Daniel. A lot of my transcription life is in compound meters, but this is a feature I can wait for, as I can always record myself playing the drum patterns. Great thanks to you and your team for a wonderful product.