Grace notes and ties affecting condensing

Hello, I’m new to Dorico after using another program for several years. The condensing feature finally persuaded me to give Dorico a try, but I’ve run into a problem trying to condense two flutes onto one stave a 2.

If I use default condensing they appear on one stave but double-stemmed, rather than one line marked a 2. I know both instruments have exactly the same music because I copied and pasted it from one to the other, so in theory there should be no reason it can’t all be condensed fully. In the second flow I copied and pasted the same music again and applied a condensing change, manually condensing both flutes into the same up-stem voice – now there is only one stem, as it should be, but any note that was tied to a previous note that has grace notes attached is now labelled only 1., with the following note returning to a 2. I assume this is why it doesn’t condense fully by default? I know I could hide the player labels in engrave mode, but that doesn’t solve the root of the problem.

(It doesn’t happen in bar 7 because I used a slur rather than a tie – I’ve since learned how to make trills and dynamics during tied notes, don’t worry!)

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening? Is this a known bug? Is the answer really obvious and I’m just being thick? (probably)

A project is attached below. Thank you!

why won’t these flutes condense properly.dorico (404.2 KB)

Welcome to the forum, @lucianowilliamson. I’ve taken a bit of a look at this tonight but I need to confer with my colleague Andrew tomorrow about it. I’ll come back to you once I’ve done so.

1 Like

Andrew and I have had a chat about this, and there is a bug here, unfortunately. Dorico is getting confused about the order of the slurs in this particular passage. You should also be aware that you won’t get a shared-stem unison where only a single voice and single notehead appears unless you also ensure that the dynamics are identical for each player.

For the time being you’ll need to use manual condensing, as you’ve found.

Ah right. Thanks for checking!