Grace notes before AND after the bar line

I’m having some trouble getting what I need:

[attachment=2]Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 4.38.07 PM.png[/attachment]

the grace notes in the bass clef are the resolution of a trill.

i get this:[attachment=2]Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 4.38.07 PM.png[/attachment]

before: [attachment=1]Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 4.37.32 PM.png[/attachment]

after: [attachment=0]Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 4.37.48 PM.png[/attachment]

the selection to place the grace notes before the barline seems to affect even grace notes in a different voice. is there a way of achieving the desired result?

Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 4.38.07 PM.png

The solution is to put all the grace notes in the same voice.

You can then set the properties so the first two are before the bar line and the last chord is not.

You can adjust the beaming, stem directions, cross-staff notes, etc of grace notes exactly the same as normal notes.

Thanks, Rob. I’m unclear how that would work. If I have the grace notes in the same voice and one of them is an eighth-note chord and the other is a pair of 16th notes, how do I actually notate that to achieve the desired result? Is it the case that I would notate all of the grace notes as sixteenth notes (tieing those that should end up as eighths) and then choose only those I want to come before the bar line? If that works, it seems finicky and not intuitive.

It looks like there is a deficiency in Dorico’s management of grace notes that the position of those in one voice affects the position of those in another voice.

You can enter the grace notes with different durations.

I guess the grace notes before the bar line are at the end of a trill or something similar.

Enter the notes as in the first example, then move the two grace notes before the bar line, then split up the beams, cross-staff the notes, flip the stems, etc.

That was how it was designed in Dorico 1.0, but I agree it is too restrictive.

If all else fails, the only work round is to drag the notes to where you want them in Engrave mode. Not fun.

Thanks Rob. Your image is very helpful.