Grace notes before bar or not?

I’ve got a project where for some measures Dorico is putting the grace notes (at the beginning of the bar) in the bar before, but I don’t want that. Toggling in the inspector (bottom pane) doesn’t solve problem. Some measures before and after I’ve forced them before, but on this bar I don’t want that but am getting that all the same. Is there maybe a bug? Any way around this?

Many thanks

Are there other grace notes in other staves at the same rhythmic location? If so, you can’t have some after the barline and others before the barline (though this is recognised as a limitation and may be improved in future). Really your only way round it is with the Note Spacing tool.

jamwerks, grace notes in Dorico work very reliable, so far I have not heard of problems with them.
How do you input the grace notes?
Are you doing a lot of manual tweaking on the layout?

No tweeking, inputting normally. I think now that Pianoleo is right. On other staves at same position I have some grace notes that serve as the of a trill and are before the bar. That must be why these input directly as showing in the previous bar. I’ll do some fancy work to get over that limitation.

Many thanks to Pianoleo (again), and k_b for your time !!!

Just pitching in to say, yes please!! I have the same problem currently in a project where I have melodic instruments finishing trills with grace notes before the barline to show how to finish the trill, and concurrent flams in some percussive parts where of course I want the grace notes at the start of the bar rather than the end of the prior one.

Daniel will probably remember that I have grumbled about this design since version 1.0, but I just found another problem with it:

Suppose you have divisi section that ends with a trill and a turn in each part. The “designed” place for the grace notes in the turn is attached to the first note of the next bar. But you can’t have two sets of grace notes applied to each divisi part, so you get nonsense like the attachment.

If you fix that by extending the divisi for another bar, and then you can’t have a clean system break where the unison starts…

Kicking the can down the road to solve the problem doesn’t work, when you run out of road!
grace notes at end of divisi.png

Since Dorico tries to be as semantic as possible (one of its greatest strengths), I would imagine that the most semantic way of handling this would be for Dorico to treat grace notes and turns at the end of trills as two separate and distinct items. Turns aren’t really grace notes before the barline – they’re part of the trill. I would love to see some kind of turn feature added to trills that’s separate from grace notes.

2 Likes

Is there any development on this topic? It is now 3 years later but the „before the bar“ button still seems to activate this property for all instruments in the bar if you put it on for just one instrument. The situation of two grace notes to define the end of a trill in one bar for one instrument and an acciacatura or other grace note played by another instrument in the next bar is rather common but I do not know how to show (and have playback) for both instruments correctly. (Example Peer Gynt Suite No. 1 , Morning Mood bar 67/68 Clarinet 1 has the trill with two finishing grace notes in bar 67 and Oboe 2 the acciatura in the bar 68)

In fact the grace notes related to the trills belong to the previous bar but I did not find a way to write and play this correctly using any other method… The before the bar button seems more a workaround for such cases.

No change (yet).

You could try something like this…
graceNoteTest.dorico (472.3 KB)

Hi Derek
That is a good trick. Creating a separate voice for the grace notes…

I still have to play a bit with this solution as I get some rests visible above and after the trill despite start and end of voice hooked in the properties as you did…

It is also not easy to get the grace notes positioned. I start with the existing Peer Gynt score without the two grace notes and then try to position them at the end of the bar attached to a „blank“ note in the new voice. Unfortunately I keep getting a 1/64th rest after the two 1/16 grace notes before the bar line. but when I move it (by 1/32 as 1/64 is not available for some reason) the two notes jump to the next bar but without 1/64 rest before them. I can hide that rest with end of voice but the same note configuration is repeated sever times in the following bars so the voice actually does not end.

I continued the trill note through the measure and only shortened the trill line in Engrave mode. I also used Edit > Remove Rests. It would help us to see the Dorico implementation of that measure (along with the next) if you could post it here.

I had to chuckle. That’s the old Sibelius workaround (though much easier to do in Dorico).

1 Like

Never used Sibelius other than a test run. :laughing:

This is the best I can do without changes in the engrave mode.

You see the funny 1/32 rest behind the grace notes. I guess this is the shortest blank note to which the grace notes actually belong. End of voice on the grace notes does not work. I also tried to change the voice of the notes in bar 70 to default down stem but that creates blue rests above them which are impossible to remove without “hide rest” which I do not like to use.

By the way although this looks better the playback is actually wrong if you do not manipulate the play length manually. The down stem voice trill continues till the end of the bar while at the same time as the upset grace notes are played but you can adapt this manually.

The way to make the rest disappear is to use real 16ths sized as grace notes as I did in the sample I posted, not to use actual grace notes in the added voice.

Indeed that was my first approach. You can decrease the note size to fake a grace note