Grace notes interfere with each other

Grace notes after the trill are before the bar line (as they should be) and in the percussion it becomes impossible to put them after the bar line. I unfortunately can’t find a setting to help the percussion notation without manual shifting. Could they be interfering with each other ? Can someone shed some light on this.
Thanks Eggi

2 Likes

This is a long-known limitation. One that’s been asked to be changed a number of times :wink:
I suppose it’s already on Daniels backlog for a while, waiting fot its priority to climb up the list.

2 Likes

Unfortunately nothing of it read but thanks for the super fast response. I am looking forward to Dorico 4.

1 Like

One of the greatest things about Dorico is its emphasis on semantics for notational elements. Turns that are part of a trill are semantically different from grace notes, so what I’m hoping we’ll see one day is turns handled as part of a trill rather than being handled as grace notes. I think this would go a long way toward solving the problem of simultaneous before-the-barline and after-the-barline grace notes.

1 Like

In the meantime, you could use grace notes for the percussion and place them after the barline, and then just use a second voice at the end of the measure after the trill and hide the rests that would precede the “grace notes” for the trill. You can then scale the 16th notes to cue sized. You’ll obviously have to futz a bit in engrave mode, but you can certainly achieve the look you’re going for.

Alpine Horn in F and Anvil. My finest work yet.
I placed the pitched “grace notes” in upstem voice 2 and then hid rests. The percussion are regular grace notes.

2 Likes

I was actually only irritated by the positions of the grace notes in the percussion part.
The notes after the trill was the first action and then the percussion part. The function, whether before or after the bar line was possible through Dorico. Only in the combination it became a surprise for me. One must decide first trill with notes or percussion rework. These surprises suddenly slow me down a bit in my work because you have to look for solutions. Thanks for trying to help me.
Eggi

A possible workaround I found: