Graphic Export request

As a side note, I would find it incredibly helpful to have some predetermined sizes for graphics boxes, for the sake of consistency when exporting lots of small examples. These could perhaps be user-defined, or perhaps a choice of several different sizes (with an option for any dimensions, of course).

This removes the need for resizing, which can get problematic in terms of image quality. Perhaps an option would be for the user to populate the dimensions, and the resultant box of a specified size can be dragged around the screen before the capture takes place.

This is one option I’d like to see: highlight all the parts you want exported (measure, notes, text, whatever; this could be specific via cmd+click) and then select to export graphic and anything that is selected will be generated with proper relativity in a bespoke-cropped bounding box. This would allow you to exclude cluttering or irrelevant components from a score depending on your requirements. I can definitely see usefulness for wanting full captures à la screen grab, but for things like academic papers or theory books the option to selectively exclude could be useful too.

now I export in pages in svg, then fragment, resize, aggregate, add lines, symbols in AffinityPublisher or AfinityDesigner (indesign etc…) where you get all the tools to build up the final page layout to your liking, not talking about the text editing.
there is no coming back.

Wow, the cool thing in this forum is, that I’m learning also about things that I never asked for. As a fan of Affinity designer, I didn’t know about Affinity publisher, but thanks to ‘SeeWhat’ my ignorance is now over …

I actually LOVE this idea!!!

Robby

Brilliant. This sounds like a “Dorico method”!

Even though I learned about Affinity publisher today, Romanos idea gets two thumbs up from me. This would be great!

Have you guys tried creating the documents that you want within Dorico?

I find one of the strengths of the programme is the music/text/image frames and their implementation on the page.

I agree, but it only goes so far.

Try creating a book (say 300 pages) with 200 short music examples, footnotes on most pages of text, hyperlinked cross references, and an index - all within Dorico :wink:

It would be great to be able to do that.

Could you do one chapter per project (say 10 chapters/10 projects), export as PDF and then combine in Acrobat?

Layout and master pages could easily remain consistent throughout.

I haven’t done a work that large but that is how I would approach it.

I have to disagree with that. I’m all for the principle of ‘right tool for the job’. Dorico is a music notation programme, and if you’re creating a music theory book for example, you need a text editing programme. Otherwise Dorico becomes bloated with all these extra functions which it will never do as good as a dedicated programme.

If you need to create a book with a number of small music elements (e.g. a theory book on instruments with elements like the instrument range and a few short examples of music) you should use something like InDesign and import graphics from Dorico, but if you are creating a music book (e.g. for a musical or a piano solo book) go ahead and do everything in Dorico.

I have to disagree with that. I’m all for the principle of ‘right tool for the job’. Dorico is a music notation programme, and if you’re creating a music theory book for example, you need a text editing programme. Otherwise Dorico becomes bloated with all these extra functions which it will never do as good as a dedicated programme.

Agree keep the focus on beautiful rendering of notation

Agree… I think Dorico will work well for something like a sight-singing book (lost of music, occasional text), once it adds linked text frames and hotkeys for easier text formatting (like Ctrl-I or Ctrl-B for italics and bold, for example). But just like the Cubase-DAW discussion… Dorico isn’t a DAW, or a word processor, nor should it try to be.

The president of Nike once asked Steve Jobs for his opinion of Nike’s business model. Jobs replied something to the effect of, “You make some great products, but you make a lot of junk too.” Quote here: How Steve Jobs Saved Nike (and Apple) With 1 Simple Piece of Advice | Inc.com

What Dorico does, it does beautifully. Just say no to bloat!

I am going to agree… for the small percussion publisher I work for, I engraved and laid out a sight reading book. Dorico handled this well, as there was minimal text, and a few graphics. I had to export numerous examples/flows to SVG because I needed music to explain the concept the small amount of text described. I needed those examples to be larger, and be centered on the page.

I had beginning of flows indented to help delineate when new exercises occurred. Since this was project wide and could not be change for specific flows, I had to export some flows to SVG trim out the excess, to be able to place the graphic exactly centered. For this book, Dorico’s native handling was great. But for some of the more intensive books I have worked on, Dorico would struggle with all of the text formatting, page layout, page formatting, etc. Hence why I nice neat way to export specific aspects of music would be great!

Robby

A within-Dorico method of lassoing part of a page to export as a graphic, with choice of format and resolution, would make Dorico the go to program for a lot of publishing and academic work.

Daniel, thanks for the welcome and apologies for the delay in responding. I create a lot of service sheets for my church and include as much music as possible; some sheets would have up to 20 music items and, whilst I’m OK cropping images / pdfs to insert, it is time consuming. I’m just being lazy and seeing if the software can do this work for me.

Nothing wrong with getting the computer to do it all for you – that’s what they’re for!

Did you see my post with a python script (on MacOS) to crop PDFs to a given set of margins? If you’re on Windows, I’m sure something similar is possible. ]

Having just this year published a textbook on musical composition, I also have to agree that it could not have been produced in Dorico. And also that I don’t want the excellent Dorico team spending their time creating another word processor!