Graphics frame keeps moving around

I’m using a graphics frame to show a wide vibrato for the flute, but every time I add a bar or change the format the frame moves to another position. Is there a way to lock a graphics frame in place?

Frames are locked to pages, not the music. Perhaps you might find creating a custom line or custom playing technique and adding that to the music to represent the vibrato, rather than using a graphics frame, produces more reliable results? With the added benefit of the notation automatically appearing in both the full score and part.

If you check the available horizontal lines, you may even find one that’s already suitable, or fairly close.

(Note that lines are available from 3.5 onwards, and creating custom lines/playing techniques requires Dorico Pro.)

Thanks for the reply Lillie. I did look at the lines but the wavy ones were too wide and too thin and I could find no way to edit them so they wouldn’t do. I need a thicker line that’s a little flatter

Wiggly lines like those are created using a small symbol that’s repeated as many times as the line’s length needs. You could create a new repeatable symbol with the dimensions you want, and create a repeatable symbols line body that uses that symbol.

There are also tasks that walk you through the process - here for repeatable symbols, here for line bodies, and here for adding your new line body to a line.

Thanks again Lillie, I did look at the editor but I don’t seem to be able to get what I want. It would look something like the attached in line size but be flatter at the beginning and getting wider toward the end.
wavy2

For that, you’d need a few different glyphs - starting flatter, getting wider. Each glyph would be one “wiggle” on its own. Then combine those multiple glyphs into a single line body by adding them all to the line body.

I’m afraid I’m not having any luck. I can’t find a way to change the width of the lines nor their height.

You can’t change all glyphs inside the editors - you might have to create the relevant glyphs in another application then import them, or find free use versions online and use those.

Here’s a very crude example to demonstrate the principle. I’ve just used the various “Multi-segment line” glyphs available, added to new repeatable symbols, slightly scaled for a couple to adjust their size. A much neater job could be done with bespoke glyphs (the 3rd glyph in the pattern is scaled so appears thicker).

the line itself is called “gradual wiggle example”, as is the line body.

the repeatable symbols are “wiggle - X” to differentiate where they’re intended to come in the sequence.

wiggly_line_example.dorico (359.3 KB)

Thank you l i l l i e I think I will have to find a premade one somewhere online