Groove Agent 4 is a DOWNgrade

Ok, just getting the hang of GA4.
The complexity automation thing is a revolution, It really does give off a ‘live’ feel to it… But, I will like to have my own imported midi work with The Complexity Auto also…
Maybe a feature request… How about a ‘Convert Midi to Style’ option, or am I missing something here?

OK… Yes, we really do need ‘Convert Midi to Style’ option… :blush:

Can I have a witness?!

Jamstix…

TR8 :wink:

Club Cubase Google Hangout featuring GA4. Maybe it will help some people.

Actually, MIDI can be converted to a Groove within Cubase, which for most purposes could add Style-like quality to 4/4 typical beats.

Obviously once we get into verse-style, fill-style, intro-style – the management takes on a whole new level of complexity. Then it becomes a midi file sample library with correct descriptions? … oh snap…we have that :mrgreen:

THis may seem like a silly question, but does GA4 handle time signatures like 6/8, 7/4 and other non 4/4 times?

Thanks… I don’t use Cubase… But noticed in the new video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktuu3MxjROk#t=992
from about 16:30, you can edit the ‘styles’ IN CUBASE (which is even more powerful), But if I were to try that with my DAW, the file will be converted to Midi. thus disabling the complexity feature…
Anyway, all I want is to get the complexity feature to work in Beat Agent for electronic drums and maybe convert some of my world beat Midi files to styles…Can you imagine the possibilities? :bulb:

Edit… Maybe someone with Cubase can convert some of the older Groove Agent Beats (1/2/3) to Groove Agent 4 Styles for the community…

Greg doesn’t say you can edit styles, he’s just dropping a pattern onto a track as you would do in any sequencer. Neither Cubase nor GA4 provide a way to edit Styles (that use the complexity slider etc) Sorry.

Yes, but try the trial to understand its scope.

RajahP - what DAW are you using?

My take on what GA4 is NOT. :nerd:

• It’s not going to replace the BFD, EZD, TSup, NI, XLN etc’s - since these were designed for the sole purpose of playing and programming HQ acoustic drums. Yes, they offered expansion options utilizing their own sample libraries.

My take on what GA4 IS. :ugeek:
The interface is designed around GSE4 and HALion/Sonic work flow know-how. For those of us familiar with the aforementioned will be at an advantage. In fact, in my mind it makes perfect sense… all the functionality of the previous generations, now with all the new layout and complexity of the present Steingberg VSTi philosophy.

I occurs to me that this is a tool for constructing drum patterns and rhythms for certain genres/styles… duh… .Groove Agent, that is what it was originally for.

Somehow I was thinking along the lines of Battery replacement.

GASE is fine for my needs, I hope no one gets confused like me and jumps into this. You’re gonna get a ton of features you don’t need.

FL Studio,

Are you saying that you want a drum sampler, but not one that has the ability to be it’s own drum arranger or accompaniment?

If so - I agree GAse would do that already.

I like it so far but I’m hurting for some blue-grass/alt-country brush work.

I really hope someone from Steinberg is reading this. Yes, I can see the potential in GA4. But no matter what I look at as far as tutorials go, they ALL start with a kit loaded or patterns loaded and just assume everyone can do this. I come to GA4 from GA3, not Groove Agent SE. I have just been searching for how to make the pattern play when I press play (or record) If I have to read a manual to find this out - you have failed basic programming dictums. How many users of this plugin want to individually compress or delay a cowbell? I click on load and I get - what? I choose a pattern and it’s on a pad. I select GA4 Pattern in my MIDI input and get - nothing. I’m really concerned that Steinberg seems to constantly pursue this type of obscure programming. This interface is extremely busy and complex. There is no quick start to a groove which syncs immediately to playback. Check out the IOS software - less is more guys and gals; less is more.

Yet another plea for jazz styles. I bought GA4 assuming it had something in that department. Meanwhile, I’ll just have to keep using Halion Sonic SE jazz drums.

I compared EZD jazz acoustic kit to the acoustic kits of GA4. I think the GA4 samples are more “compressed” sounding; obviously not a fair comparison… but I get your point, we miss the GA2 kits :frowning: … and easy way of jamming…

When you upgrade to GA4 from GA3, does GA3 go away? Can I have both?

You can use both and it’s a good idea to have both. Just so you can get used to GA4 if you ever can.