Groove Agent mixer: adding chorus to reverb

I’m struggling to make this work. I use the aux send in the internal GA mixer with reverb then chorus. However, the result is that the dry sound of the instrument is also chorused. How do I get only the reverb tail chorused?

Not sure, if you’re aware that there is a forum section specifically for Groove Agent?

1 Like

I didn’t know that. Having looked at it, my question is in the list. I’m not sure how that happened, but I hope I get an answer. Thank you.

1 Like

I have the sneaking suspicion that a friendly forum administrator quietly moved this thread over to the Groove Agent sub forum :slight_smile:
And it wasn’t me, I’m just a random Steinberg product user using some lockdown time to try to help some fellow music makers as best a I can.

Your signal routing sounds fine to me, and at first I thought I heard the same thing as you did when I tested with Groove Agent 5 SE (and a prior edit of my prior post reflected that).

However then I constructed a test, in an attempt to figure out if my ears were deceiving me - and judging by that test, it would seem that Groove Agent behaves correctly - and my ears had indeed deceived me.

To test this without relying on my ears, I used a synth bass sound in Groove agent, since a sustained dry note should be easier to tell if it’s chorused.

The signal routing was a Reverb with a long pre-delay. i.e. no reverb for the first part of the note. So there should be no chorus on the first part of the note.

Then I ran the “Render in Place” function of Cubase twice in a row:

• The first time with the reverb on & the chorus bypassed
  • The second time with the reverb on & the chorus on

This resulted in 2 audio tracks.
Then I phase reversed the second audio track in Cubase.

If the chorus doesn’t do anything to the beginning of the note (before the reverb kicks in after the pre-delay), then the two beginning sections of my two audio tracks should be identical.

And with a 180 degree phase inversion between identical audio signals the result of summing should be silence.

And that’s exactly what I got: The pre-delay part of the note ended up producing silence, and once the reverb kicked in, the 2 tracks were not identical anymore (due to the chorus being inactive in track 1 and active in track 2 - and thus I could hear a sound for the part of the note after the pre-delay.

So this experiment seemed to indicate that Groove Agent did the right thing. Attached zip file has the two audio files I mentioned above, just in case you or anyone else wants to double check my work - the phase reversal is not printed in the audio file, but has to be done in the DAW after importing them.

Audio.zip (3.2 MB)

Thanks for that careful response. I never thought to just extend the pre-delay and when I do it’s obvious the drum sound is clean.

1 Like