Groove Agent SE4 is great!

It’s possible to step through a folder of samples in Media Bay - and quickly assign the sample/s to SE4
Or - you can use Replace Sample to Step through a Folder in SE4, See Below

Re:1
In: EDIT: Main
Right Click On A Sample
Choose Replace Sample
This will bring up a folder - Prelisten Samples is checked by default and you can step through a list of the samples in a folder - and replace instantly

Re: 2
In EDIT: Main
Under the samples - there’s a drop down menu: Mode (Velocity, Layer, Round Robin, Random, Random Exclusive)
This will stack layers

Re: 3
AFAIK
Each pad/s can go to up to 16 separate outputs
Otherwise:
There are 4 AUX Buses
Add FX here
And the Bus amount in EDIT: Amp
Under the sample are the AUX Buses

Re: 4
GA1 kits load into GA SE4

GA SE4 is a great update and a great drum / perc sample player.
I used to use Battery 3 a while back - but didn’t upgrade to Battery 4 due to Undo (Ctrl Z) reported to be not working.
Undo and Redo work in SE4
Also - I think Media Bay is the Dogs Nutz for finding samples and worked great with GA1
However - this latest update is much more useful.

i think click and hold, and maybe drag with +Alt. usual modifier should work if it is actually possible.

hope this helps

2 questions:

1. Is it possible to drag multiple samples selection (from mediabay) on different consecutive pads, instead of drag all the samples in the same pad?

2. How is it possible to have audio choke groups between samples (hi-hat open->closed)?

1. yes there are 3 options of drag n drop from media bay : add, replace, and add to consecutive pads
  2. you can assign each pad to an exclusive group, the two sounds won’t play at the same time

@ Dave Wise - Wow, thank you for your detailed informations! That doesn’t sound bad. It would have been great to see the sample selector, that Steinberg introduced with Padshop:

You can easily browse thru your library folders with keys (!), pressing ENTER loads a sample (without closing the selector) and you can play it immediately within the synthesis context (not just prelisten). If you don’t like it, choose another one. This is the way i want to assemble my drum kits. I think this is the best solution I have ever seen - even far better than in NI Kontakt/Battery. Why oh why did Steinberg “forget” to integrate this selector (I also miss it in Halion)?

Insert FX per Pad would be important for EQing - there are more samples in a kit than output channels.

Why do you write this, if you have no clue?

because for 1) you don’t have the drop down menu he was asking for
for 2), I was wrong and I edited my post, still you can’t adjust the volume/pitch for each layer which is really limiting in terms of use

Re: 1
Yes
Select Samples from Media Bay
Drag and hover over a pad
(where you drag your cursor to over a pad - decides how samples will be assigned)
A graphic of 3 options appears (from top to bottom)
Top: Box +
This will stac the samples - and divide into suitable velocity Rages

Middle: Box <> Box
This will add samples as above
However: This is more how you copy - or exchange pad data
As long as you choose a pad with a sample/s
Drag an drop to either move - or exchange pad data, or to copy

Bottom: Box Box Box
Dragging multiple samples to this option will place them on multiple individual pads

Re: 2
EDIT: Main
Above the sample you’ll see Excl
Setting the Excl number here - will set-up the choke groups

Hope this helps
(if it doesn’t, let me know and I’ll post a jpg)

Ok thank you very much guys :smiley:

Really?? This is bad…layering needs that each layer got its own envelope, otherwise it is useless

Each Layer does have it’s own values

EDIT: Main, Pitch, Filter, Amp, Sample, Slice

Select the Layer / Sample you want to edit - and use the options above to change values for each individual sample layer.

Working here…

if i change let’s say amp envelope in one sample/layer, automatically also the others sample/layers have the same amp envelope…am i missing something?

Hi Spinlud

I think you may have over-looked something

I’m not using preset kits to edit - not sure if that makes a difference - there may be a mode that does global edit? just guessing

I’ve just put a TB bass and an 808 snare into a pad.
In Main: change mode to Layer
By selecting the samples (click on sample name boxes) under Main, Pitch, Filter etc
Change envelope (attack) of bass
The 808 snare is a totally different env to the bass
Same with changing the pitch, filter, amp etc - different for each layer

Good luck

(if you’re still having a problems - I’ll post a quick video later)

I can’t get it working for the preset kits - I’ll hunt down the problem later

works with my own kits

thanks for the help man.

Yes i have selected layer in the main mode for each sample, but when i change an envelope all other samples show the same envelope. What’s going on?

you’re right Dave, I can adjust pitch filter and amp enveloppe for individual layer on the same pad. Works really well.
Apologize.

if you go to the pitch, filter and amp tab (not the main tab), you can adjust the enveloppes for each layer .

I can’t get it to work on the Steinberg kits - only on my kits loaded via media-bay

There’s probably a feature that locks / unlocks this

or - it may be a bug?

I am not using any kit, i am just dragging samples on a pad.

interested to see how automation is dealt with, for example;

• if i have an instrument TRACK, is ALL the automation held on the MAIN instrument track for every parameter ?

• if i have a tRACK instrument, is there automation data held underneath the corresponding channel/track. (pitch automation, envelope release …etc)

thanks in advance.

To answer my own post:

In Pad: Sample Mode: Layer
Whichever sample is highlighted / selected - the controls affect all layers
Which is not ideal - we may want a different pitch, vol etc for each sample layered on a pad

It’s not a bug - but a feature of how the racks are set up and saved for the ‘Quick Controls’ Presets.

Solution:
Rightclick on any parameter such as Volume
Click on Forget Automation
And now individual volumes can be set for each layer.

The advantage to using quick controls is: being able to use Quick Controls to change multiple values at once.
So the default setting is completely logical.

And that’s why assigning your own samples to pads works
But the GA Presets may not respond as expected.