Group Staff Labels

Is it possible to have an instrument group be labeled in the score instead of/in addition to showing the individual part names (e.g. Strings, Choir, Offstage Brass)? I feel like I’m missing something obvious, but I can’t figure out how to do it. I have the players in groups in setup mode, but I can’t figure out what to do next.

No, there is not currently a way to display the group name.

I believe your only (or best) option at this point is to add a staff text object, turn off “avoid collision,” and drag it over to fake it.

I believe that the e-manual says that it’s possible, but it doesn’t say how.

I wish that were the case, but I believe that information must be incorrect. group of instrument's name on the score - Dorico - Steinberg Forums

You can create and name a group in the players list, but it isn’t displayed in the score.

I think I’ll be repeating ThatVoilaGuy question, but let’s go: I don’t want to have a staff named “Horns 1 and 2” plus a second named “Horns 3 and 4” (let alone 4 staves for 4 horns!) but 2 staves with “4 Horns” written in the middle of them and 1.2. and 3.4. in each one. The same for the trombones and tuba. Standard stuff. Isn’t it possible?

Create a single section player.
Go into Write mode, right click the first rest on the stave, go Staff > Change Divisi (or Add Divisi, or whatever it is - I’m doing this from memory!)
Add a tutti. You should now have a 1 and a 2 showing in the top section.
Select the 1, then click into the text frame below, type whatever you like (“1.2” for example).
Select the 2 (in the top section), then click into the text frame below, type e.g. “3.4”.
Click OK.