GUI Freeze in Cubase 11 on Windows 10

This was an issue on v11 and is even worse on v11.0,10. The GUI will freeze. MIDI and audio continue to be passed but the screen is completely locked up, no VU meters move, menus do nothing, etc. I do not have this problem on Cubase 10 so it is something in 11. It will do this with all plugins disabled, and even preferences reset.

I’m running Windows 10 20H2 but it was on my last patched version of Windows as well. NVidia graphics card, AMD 5900x CPU.

James

Hi,

Please try this:

• Uninstall the NVIDIA driver.
  • Download the latest Studio driver version from here.
  • Start the installation (as administrator).
  • Don’t install the whole package, use the Custom (Advanced) settings.
  • Disable everything (don’t install NVIDIA Experience, PhysX, etc.), keep just the video driver enabled.

This made things better for a day but now it’s back to freezing within a second of loading a project.

James

Hi there,
I’m experiencing the same bug. It seems to be more common in some projects that others, but I cannot see any relationship to project complexity.
Usually the GUI freezes when playing back or recording. Both the recording and playback continues without interruption, while everything in the GUI (including VST windows) are completely frozen. The GUI rewokes itself after 1-3 minutes.
Sometimes it’s possible to provocate a similar behaviour by furiously draggning one of the channel pan sliders, but I’m not sure if this is related to the general freeze problem.
Possibly this happens more commonly when using Groove Agent.

My setup:
Windows 10H2
Ryzen 1700X, 16mb ram
Nvidia 1050ti running a 4K display, latest drivers.
Cubase Elements 11.0.10 (bug was apperent in earlier versions too)

Hi,

Rise the Steinberg support ticket, please. Attach the *.NFO file to the Steinberg’s support ticket, please.

I’m not getting freezing, but I’m also experiencing bad GUI lag with the latest version of Cubase and Nvidia Drivers. It could have been the latest Nvidia Drivers that might have caused this. I will need to try and install older drivers to test. I have an RTX 2060.

@Martin.Jirsak I just tried out older Nvidia Drivers now and it seems to have done the trick for me, but I’ll monitor it to see if it breaks again.

So might be Driver Version 461.40 (January 26, 2021) the latest ones that might be an issue with Cubase 11.0.10

I downgraded to Drivers 461.09 (January 7, 2021). No more GUI lag and breakup and GUI Windows with these Drivers.

I have also tried the Studio Drivers and downgrading from latest version to 460.89 also works.
So both Game Ready and Studio Drivers latest drivers (461.40) will cause GUI lag.

Maybe the Freeze issues are also linked to other users. Maybe downgrading their Graphics Drivers from the latest to an older version might help them as well.

2 Likes

I had a problem with the latest driver. LatencyMon reported ridiculous directx ISR routine execution times. I too have found that 461.09 seems fine (NVS510 card)

1 Like

In my case, it looks like some monitoring software for my motherboard was at fault. After uninstalling it, things appear to be working again. Odd that v10 was not affected.