GUI visuals question

I’ve been working all the day with C7 and the new tools are great, the new plugins sound nice, but the the new interface behavior is messy and inaccurate. I’m almost sure that most the CPU load is due the new graphic layer, and sometimes it behaves weirdly or lacks a important option. For example, you can’t write the value of a damn sent!

The 90s gradient color style graphics are confusing, and it sometimes makes things unreadable.

The new editor window uses more space than ever before, and you can’t have anything available in one page. You’re forced to use several pages to access things that I use to have in the same layer.

Even having new great features, this is a true lost opportunity to do something remarkable with the interface.

I don’t think it’s necessary to have two different GUIs. Cubase will be always a good entry point to Nuendo, so it should look similar. For example, I use Cubase on my laptop when I’m out of the studio.

Let’s see what happens with N6, but I don’t think it will be too different. I think I’m extending my time with N5.5/6.5 longer that I expected. Anyway, I keep an eye on Presonus Studio One (I have a version that was included with a sound card) and Pro Tools.

Totally different? As we use tracks , audio path , eq’s, groups, effects sends , studio sends,automation, etc… Like any analog OR digital mixing desk OR advanced surfaces control ?
The big difference is that we use a computer interface with keyboard and mouse for years. And this interface is gathering dust for certain task.

I m sure that tactile interface have a good headroom of progress. Not because it’s the hype of the moment, but because it CAN be really lot more efficient.

Example : Compare usage of the Hardware version or the famous Korg ms 20 , the VST version, and the IPad version.
The best tweaking experience is on the real hardware, because the real touch and feel knobs and instant reactivity.
Tweaking The VST with only mouse is slower and don’t push you to be more creative .
iPad version benefits of the multitouch feature of the iPad witch is reactive, u can achieve a good research of interesting sounds, very efficiently.
Because lack of sound , the iPad version stay as a toy, hardware version is rare, expensive and difficult to incorpore in a daw world,

Maybe the new Nuendo mixer interface will permit to develop a quickest way to use than with mouse.

I have been checking the cubase 7 mixer video tutorials on youtube and I can say that I love some of the new functionality of mixer but really hate the new GUI. No relevant information on it, just bars and knobs, no values. Scrolling and tab structure doesn´t help either to have a preview of channels parameters.

Really hope to have at least numerical values on parameters preference option and something similar to the old mixer show inserts,eq… buttons and the possibility to assign them to key commands, for not having to scroll back and forth.

As said great new functionality poor visual feedback of track parameters.

Best Regards.

In the other hand, I can’t justify a 30% more of CPU use JUST for the graphic layer (with ASIO guard off)!
And you can’t even introduce a numerical value for a send…

Damn , really? It’s a very bad news.you can’t double click and type a value ? Oh no.
I can’t believe that :open_mouth:

True story

Yes, you’re right. What you explain here is the creative way of making music. But there are many other fields in the audio industry, wich behave totally different.
Think about a mastering project.
Think about a feature movie scene with 80+ tracks of environment noises and foley. Simple: you have to be absolutely precise, or you will end up having a mess around you.
Nuendo was meant to be a professional post-production tool.

If my profession is hammering 10000 nails a day, the tool I need for the task is a good hammer. That’s all.

Absolutely agree.

That isn’t the case with Cubase 7 here. I just tested it today against Cubase 6.5 with the same settings (i.e. ASIO Guard off), and system cpu load and the ASIO meter’s average were identical to C6.5. Note that there is a new “Real time” ASIO meter as well. It will show the spikes when they happen and often bounce around higher than the “average” meter, and that may be misleading some to think C7 is more cpu intensive. It isn’t, but we can now see just how much swing there is in ASIO loading during older projects where, the more basic ASIO meter (also just the “average”) just wasn’t telling the whole story.

The new mixer GUI adds no extra cpu overhead. I assume N6 will perform in a similar fashion.

Cool. Can you confirm, Antonio?

I just had watch a bunch of cubase 7 mixer video’s on YouTube…
In regard of all the new mixer functionality’s , I just find the nuendo5.5 old mixer skin outdated!

I think it’s a REAL step forward.

About the GUI visual questions and the color schem, it’s a matter of taste. As I like working in dimmed light, the dark GUI ll be not bad at all.

But… I acknoledge that some people dislike it, it’s important for everyone to have a good feeling on a GUI for everyday working.

One could Prefer a tron-ish minimalist interface when another will like an leather an wood cheesy GUI.

The best way to handle these aspects is to offer to the user at least a choice! Then…
Customisable skins is a requested feature, just to stop this kind of moaning topic.:wink:
It’s not impossible, some like Ableton live and Magix Samplitude do that.

Anyway, Steinberg had done a really good job, and I can’t wait for the update.

Cheers.

I agree that colors and shapes can be a matter of taste, but my major complains are more about the sometimes buggy GUI CPU needs (in my test project is about a 30% more in a 8 cores 3 GHz Mac Pro with a RME card full buffered, even with ASIO guard off) and behavior. Honestly, a professional program does not need to look like an iPad app, with animations everywhere, unreadable labels and touch size pots, that breaks the workflow and needs a new computer!

If nothing changes in Nuendo, I think it will be the first time that I will keep stuck on a version.

Yes, it works.

Sure that a GUI must be fast and absolutely reactive.

Detail that annoyed me in video’s is the sluggish resizing of the fader section.

GPU’s Are not used? It would be smart.

Have you try to look the CPU resource meter of your computer? CPU meter in Cubase has changed and the stability with high CPU load and the use of the processor multicores has been highly improved?

I can load the same projects with C7 and runs smoothly, BUT the CPU is loaded a 30% more, and the performance with small buffer sizes is ridiculous.

Thanks Bredo. Lucky you then :slight_smile:

Weel In think it’s just dreadful - the brushed metal gloomy look of the mixer. Makes me want to look away. Really worried that SB have just totally NO IDEA what they are doing when it comes to actually comprehending what we do with their software.

Clearly all about Yamaha.

Please please SB listen to your users. I have fired up Cubase 7 and tried for a while. It’s unbearable.

Now, we know why we have such an interface in Cubase (and probably Nuendo):
Cubasis for iPad!

Cubasis: Music Creation App for iOS & Android | Steinberg