Guitar Amp Plug In Issues

Using Cubasis 3.5.1 on iPad Pro 2021. Two issues rolled into one question…

1. I have been experimenting with various Nembrini guitar amp plug-ins and Cubasis. I experience regular freezes, when inserting one of the plug-ins as an effect. Either the plug-in screen will not show at all or it expands to fill the entire screen space and I cannot get “back” to Cubasis without closing the whole thing down, even with restarting my device etc. Any ideas?

2. If the problem is on the Nembrini plug in side, does anyone have any amp plug in suggestions? I have tried the built in “amp sim” but find it impossible to get a clear and clean sound from it. I want something that works for jazz/standards…I want zero distortion or effect.

Thanks!

Hi Rob,
I use Amplitube for iPad. I bought it around 2010 with many fx pedals, amps, speaker cabs with mics you can reposition. I have to launch the app before launching Cubasis because it loads as a IAA, but it is superb.
I’m not sure but I believe Amplitude is still free and you can purchase separate fx pedals, amps etc or you can upgrade to a higher version, or simply purchase the complete everything app, may cost a bit for that tho.
Have a look on the App Store, I believe you will be seriously tempted :wink:
Btw, everything sounds top notch in Amplitude, try the wah-wah pedal…wow! (That’s if you buy it)
Hope this helps
Mike

Mike - thanks for the recommendation…I’ll give it a try!

Rob

1 Like

Hi Rob,
Here is my setup in Cubasis3, there are many amps and fx and speaker cabs that I can select, there are many more signature amps available too.

Been trying it for the past 24 hours. I already like the sound I’m getting much better.

One question on how it works with Cubasis. It seems only to “operate” on the first track it is assigned to, is that right? In other words, it’s not possible to assign Amplitude to a second guitar track in the same project (I can assign it but it doesn’t actually do anything)…does this make sense?

Thx again for your insight,
Rob

Hi Rob,
Because Amplitube is being used as IAA in Cubasis3, only one instance can be used, it’s the same with any IAA synths or fx. But there is a way you can use more than one instance if you follow this advice:
1, record your guitar parts (if more than one is needed).
2, open AT for your first guitar part set it how you want it, when you are happy with the sound, freeze the track by tapping on the white star below the track number in the instrument column.
3, select your next guitar part and open AT and repeat for as many guitars you are using.
Hope this helps, if not, I will be around somewhere :beers:

I forgot to mention this……if you tap on the tuning fork at bottom of AT screen a small window will open, you will see Play and Demo1, press Play and keep tapping the Demo button for different guitar styles, this allows you to set up your amps/fx/cabs etc.

If you want to change your frozen guitar track, just re-tap the star which will now be highlighted in blue, but make sure you not using another instance of AT in a different track.

Hi @Rob_W,

Thanks for your message.

We’ve exchanged with Igor from Nembrini, who confirmed that the Mb1 Pro plug-in works as expected with Cubasis.

If the problem persists, please share a clip with us which shows the exact steps leading to the issue.

Thanks,
Lars

Mike - thanks for the additional workflow tips, look good!

Unfortunately I think I must have some kind of user (me!) error going on because I now seem to have created a similar issue with AmpliTube that I was having with Nembrini plugins. I’ll send a screenshot to Lars message in this thread.

Rob

Hi @Rob_W,

In regards to using the Nembrini AU plug-in you may try the following steps again:

1. Close all running apps, including Cubasis.
  2. Fully shut down the iPad.
  3. Restart the iPad.
  4. Launch the stand alone app version of the Nembrini plug-in,
  5. Lauch Cubasis with the empty project template.

Follow the steps in this tutorial to load the Nembrini Audio Unit plug-in to an audio track.

Please let me know about your results.

Best,
Lars

Hi Lars,

Thanks for reaching out. Have uninstalled and reinstalled all Nembrini plug ins, working OK just now …I’ll try and recreate the problem and then get back to describe the steps to you.

Meanwhile, just been trying out AmpliTube in a project I was just starting…working OK I think and then this …(I sometimes get the same kind of screen when the Nembrini ones stop working on me).

This is a small project rn and I’m using an iPad Pro (11” Gen 3).

Rob

Hi @Rob_W,

Thanks for the updated message.

Apple released Audio Unit support for iOS many years ago, which offers much more flexible options compared to Inter-App Audio. Also, Audio Unit can be seen as Apple’s successor of Inter-App Audio (which is no longer supported).

We recommend getting in touch with app vendors asking them to release AU versions of their IAA plug-ins to make them aware about the demand.

In this regard, please check our Limitations of Inter-App Audio format article:

P.S.: If you encounter an empty AU plug-in screen as show in your message, it might work to shut down and restart Cubasis and/or launching the stand alone AU app version. See the linke article above for more details.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Lars

Lars,

Thx again. And for the link, which helps my understanding a lot!

Sorry for the follow up question …it will help me understand how best to use Cubasis…

Inside Cubasis, some of my plugins are listed only under Audio Units, some only under Inter-App, but a lot of them are shown under both Audio Units and Inter-App. If I select one of that last group, does it matter whether I select it from the Audio Unit list or the Inter-App list …I.e. does that selection change the way it behaves in Cubasis?

Rob

Hi Rob,
I get the same problem with ALL my IAA apps if I don’t launch them first and leave them running in the background before launching Cubasis……just like Lars has just said :+1:
Hope you get it sorted.

Btw, on AT, tap the “Live” tab (top left of screen” and four large switches appear for easy preset change whilst playing live :ok_hand:

Hi @Rob_W,

Inside Cubasis, some of my plugins are listed only under Audio Units, some only under Inter-App, but a lot of them are shown under both Audio Units and Inter-App. If I select one of that last group, does it matter whether I select it from the Audio Unit list or the Inter-App list …I.e. does that selection change the way it behaves in Cubasis?

The available formats of a 3rd party plug-in (AU, IAA) are fully dependent on the app vendor. Cubasis can only list the formats available.

If you own plug-ins which offer Audio Unit and Inter-App Audio compatibility, I clearly suggest taking the Audio Unit route (which offers much more flexibility, such as the option using multiple instances of the same plug-in and much more).

Best,
Lars