Guitar fingering - barré with lowest string subscript

Just bought Dorico, love it.
I’ve found how to add indications for a barré (in playing techniques, not sure why not in fingering), which allows for full barré and half barré. Some publishers and guitarists use this, but this far from precise enough.
The standard indication I use, as does Frank Koonce in his Bach Lute Suites, is to use a Roman numeral (no “C”, I find indicating the string enough and find no need to indicate the position) and a subscript number from 3 to 6 to indicate how far the barré should reach - for example “III[subscript]5” indicates a barré at the 3rd fret reaching to the 5th string, leaving the 6th string open.
This is important because on the one hand sometimes you have open strings that vaguely indicated barré would coved, and on the other hand barring more strings than necessary strains the left hand, which is especially important for my students who are just learning how to use a barré.
Here are a couple of examples:

In the example above there are also indications for a half barré with an “h” and a dashed line, but here instead of just barring across half of the fretboard, you need to have a barré lifted, which you then put down when the III5 indication comes.
Thanks!!

1 Like

I’ve just told another poster that you still need a customised library file even to get barré fret numbers, but perhaps this feature has been added without my noticing? The customised file I use does require playing techniques rather than fingerings.

I agree that specifying the number of strings is useful, and I sometimes add this information in pencil, but in my experience it’s unusual to find it in printed music.

Thanks for your reply, Wensleydale!
I suppose by “customised library” you adding a playing technique like this?
I’ve come from Finale, so maybe I’m just used to that sort of thing…

It seems odd that Dorico would allow you to put “C” or “1/2C” without the Roman numeral, especially as from my humble point of view it’s superfluous pointless when using Roman numerals.

I don’t know many publishers that add the subscript number either, but I’ve played a lot of that Kjos Bach book :slight_smile: , and I think it should really be standard practice by now. I find that especially when sight-reading I end up having to move the barré halfway through a chord, and for example, if the barré lasts a bar, I don’t want to expect that my performer would need to read to the end of the bar and find all the notes to be played with the 1st finger to figure out how the barré should be placed.

I’ll probably just customise a load of playing techniques of Roman numerals with a big Arabic numeral after them.

I use a custom userlibrary file produced by Andy Forrest and discussed here. What I see is this:

Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 7.27.00 am

It works well. I assume that Andy did it via playing techniques because it wasn’t feasible to do it via fingerings.

2 Likes

Thanks Wensleydale!
Just seen this, sorry for my late reply!
In the end I just went for a normal-sized Arabic numeral after the Roman numeral, which for my student is better because a small one is hard to see.
But, this gives me the added bonus of learning about custom userlibrary files, which I didn’t know about. Thanks!