guitar fingering doesn't allow negative numbers

The short answer is that popovers are meant to add elements to the score that are semantic, so the number of entries the popover can parse are finite.

Considering that, it’s pretty impressive how many iterations you can type of certain things, and Dorico can still figure it out. But it’s still finite.

The only way I can think of offhand is to enter negative finger numbers using the text popover.

It’s not all bad. Here’s a tip: in a new flow, use Bravura Text to make the number look exactly as you want it, including the negative sign. Then in Engrave mode, select it and turn off collision avoidance. You can set up each iteration of these negative fingerings as text items. Then copy-paste them into the score as needed. Turning off collision avoidance will ensure that they’re "dumb’ in their placement and won’t affect your spacing. Then just drag them as needed.

Not ideal, sure, but probably the simplest solution.

I would agree with Vanmeule about guide fingers, particularly the ‘slide from nowhere’.
I can often (but not always) get this by entering string numbers in the properties panel, sometime ‘lying’ about which string the previous note is on.
Frequently a change in position ends with a different finger.
An option to have a short slide sign with the 3 possible angles just by clicking the ‘slide’ in the properties panel with the angle choice would be useful.

Not to drag it out, but I’m not objecting to more input options in general, or yours in particular. The architecture can handle it, I’m sure. I was just pointing out why some input variations work and others don’t.

Hello, had same need to add negative fingerings and found a solution in modifying “Edit Music Symbols” and modifying italics fingerings same as normal with the “-” before … Then I just add fingering to a note (ex “1”) and check in informations panel “italic” and then I have “-1” …