Guitar fingering outside the staff

If I deselect ‘allow left-hand fingerings inside the staff for fretted instruments’ then my right hand fingerings disappear. Is this normal? Is there some further step required to get the right hand fingerings back while keeping all fingers outside of the staff?

I also notice that when I deselect this option the fingering popover icon changes from L or R to crotchet with a 5 over it (not sure if this is useful to know).

I’m inputting on 7-string guitar in this current project but the problem also occurs on all the other guitars I tried in new projects as testers.

Thanks!

This is essentially a backwards-compatibility option provided to ensure that projects created before the guitar fingering features were added in Dorico 3, and it basically means that when that option is switched off, a guitar is treated like a keyboard instrument for the purposes of fingering. I’d recommend keeping it switched on, therefore.

ok thanks Daniel. Is there a way to get the fingers outside the staff with it on, without manually moving each one?

I think you will need to select the notes with left-hand fingerings and set the Stopping finger position property to Outside staff.

1 Like